Thread: Planning stages
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Hello ksm2002,
I basically agree with Freshwater, If I were you I would start with a few hydroponic systems first. Growing a few different types of plants, in different systems using conventionally manufactured hydroponic nutrients first. That way you can learn from first hand experiences of growing hydroponically before taking on aquaponics. That would cut down the "learning curve" when you decide to step up to aquaponics. The nutrient management in aquaponics is no ware near as easy as it is in hydroponics.

That will also allow you time to show your wife the benefits of growing hydroponically first hand. And when she sees that you can grow as much as you want, of what you want, and she doesn't need to pay high prices for mediocre produce at the grocery store, it will be much easier to convince here to allow you to expand your setups. She will probably even ask you to grow specific things she likes, that will get her interested and suck her into hydroponics too. But if you start out full throttle, and don't achieve good results on the first try, you will hear a lot of "I told you so". Then convincing her will be be much, much harder, if not imposable.

The one thing that I would additionally suggest, is to build a setup to grow the fish also if you wanted, but separately from the plants. That will help cut down on the learning curve of learning how to care for the fish as well. There is no doubt that you will want to make improvements as you gain experience in both hydroponic, as well as fish farming (we all do). So cutting down on the learning curve before combining both would be beneficial to your overall success, as well as your "return on investment" (that your wife will no doubt be keeping track of).

If you have not already seen it, I have posted some aquaponics resources in this thread:
http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/for....html#post6490

P.S.
Thank you for serving our country, and I hope you make it home soon and well.