View Single Post
Old 04-21-2016, 02:55 AM

Hello Rye,
Quote:
I have "some" roots popping through the bottom, but not quite enough to reach down to the reservoir should I set that up.
I wouldn't set it up until your ready to place the plants into it. Well that is get everything ready, and set up, just not put the nutrient solution in it until your ready to put the plants in it.

Quote:
Next stop, the documentation on lights. I'm using a 4ft Jump start light I got from Groney's right now. I am assuming I'm going to need something with more output in the near future.
I'm not sure who Groney's is, but if your referring to the jump start T5 florescent lights manufactured by Hydrofarms. Then I'm familiar with those lights. They do have different variations of it, some single bulb and twin bulb versions, and some with and withough't the reflector. I'm not sure what your growing other than kale, and I don't like kale (to bitter for me), so of hand I'm not familiar with how big they get and light requirements for it. Shade and part shade plants that don't fruit should do good under florescent. Full sun plants, fruiting plants, and/or plants that get tall (taller than 2 feet) will likely need more light than one T5 very soon. A single T5 is more just for starting seedlings. I don't know if you have read this yet, but this page helps explain the different types of artificial lighting: Artificial lighting for Hydroponic Plants