Thread: Second system
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Unfortunately I have sad news for these tomato plants. At this point I will be starting over with new plants in this system. I think I have spent enough time trying to save them from the brink of disaster, and it will be much faster to start them over. After re-transplanting them into the new buckets, they seem to have gotten a virus from flying aphids called a "winged pea or potato aphid." I have sense been able to get rid of the aphids but there effects linger on (stunted growth, curled and deformed leaves). I also believe the cold weather and nutrient temp (before the heating pad) has contributed to the plants immune system not being able to fight off the virus.

The system itself seems to be working perfectly and with no leaks. I have a waterproof heating pad I got from the Salvation Army thrift store for $1 that keeps the nutrients from getting to cold at night. I have some pipe insulation that I still plan to put on the P.V.C. tubing, and some flat rolled foam insulation to put around the buckets. Because tomatoes are a warm weather plant I will drape the trellis with clear plastic drop cloths, then heat the inside with small kerosene lamps/heaters at night because the night time temp here is getting into the upper 30's now. As I understand it, kerosene is a clean burning fuel that wont leave suite on everything and burns a long time.

P.S. The metal screen around the plants are just there to keep the rabbits from eating the plants.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-17-2009 at 06:37 PM.