View Single Post
Old 08-20-2011, 07:24 PM

Well I have a few friends that I think I can get to help when I need extra hands by bribing them mostly with just beer and pizza (and beer, and beer, and beer, and beer). But without posting the complete breakdown of the estimated figures, here are the totals for each section. Overall, the total start up cost is higher than I originally expected to be around $3,500. But at the same time, to be on the safe side everything in the start up costs list is a high end estimate. And I know I can bring down the actual cost of some of the things needed various ways. Not to mention even though I will need to build the Subterranean heating and cooling now, before the greenhouse is built (because it will be below it). By the time I have the greenhouse and hydroponic system built, and have plants growing in it, it will be early October. It will be cool enough then that I wont need the portable AC and shade cloth until next spring, saving about $600 right off the top.

Start-up cost totals
The Greenhouse structure....................................$544. 09
The Hydroponic grow system (all 3 levels)...............$851.37
Hydroponic system support structure......................$273.27
nutrient reservoir/s & water pumps.........................$812
Subterranean heating and cooling..........................$920
Swamp cooler............................................ ..........$80
AC Unit (portable) .............................................$400
Shade Cloth............................................. ...........$209
Greenhouse heating........................................... ...$130
Water Filtration system.......................................$140
Start up Consumables....................................... ....$648
Plant Propagation system......................................$
Electrical........................................ ....................$320
Sales Displays.......................................... ...........$
License's and Permits........................................... .$300
Property Rent.............................................. .........$0
Total start-up cost.............................................. .......$5,307.73 (excluding Sales Displays, and Plant Propagation system)

By far the the hydroponic system and Subterranean heating and cooling system will be the biggest costs. The hydroponic system because it's 3 levels and all the wood needed to build it, waterproofing etc. etc.. As well as the wood needed to build the support structure to hold it. In total the hydroponic system is estimated to be around $1,100. But a lot of that wood can be bought cheaper as pre-cut pieces. Often Home Depot have stacks of cut wood they sell cheep. As an example a 8 foot 2x4 of pressure treated wood sells for $4.97, but a left over pre-cut piece of the same wood, but 3-4 feet long they sell for $0.51 cents. And although I will need longer pieces, the majority of it would be cut into 3-4 foot long pieces anyway. So I'll be buying it up when they have it. Another expensive part of the hydroponic system will be the "High density Styrofoam sheets" that will be used to place the plants in. Unfortunately they only have it in one size, and again because the hydroponic system is 3 levels, I'll be needing almost $180 worth ($5.35 for each 2x8 sheet)

Most of the cost of the Subterranean heating and cooling system is due to our soil conditions. Because the ground is hard as rock, I'll need to rent a backhoe to do all the digging. The cost for the rental, as well as its delivery and pickup will be about $350 (just to dig the holes). Then again because of our soil conditions, and the fact that I want the system to function at it's best, I need to add crushed rock when I back-fill the holes. That will aid in the drainage of the water that condenses underground from the humidity, and then seeps into ground through the perforated tubing (how the sub T system works). But here Again I'll be checking around to see if there is anyone who has a backhoe that wants to rent it out cheaper than the equipment rental company (when I'm actually ready).

The crushed rock is fairly cheep at $20 a ton (roughly 20 cubic feet). But again 4 tons of crushed rock, as well as the delivery will run about $140. But I will also be checking on prices for "bulk sand" for drainage instead (sand will work even better for this purpose). But again I will probably be able to reduce costs here, because my mom wants to add decorative rock to the back yard (you can see some in the pictures beside the garage, and in the neighbors front yard). Combining orders will likely give us free delivery. Anything over 12 tons, and the delivery is free. But bottom line, $490 of the estimated $920 for the sub T system is largely due to our soil conditions.

But by the time construction is actually complete, I expect that I'll be able to come in about $1,000 to $2,000 under the original estimate. So including the Plant Propagation system, and sales displays (not currently in the estimates), I'm guessing that the final total will actually be somewhere around $4,000 to $4,500. However I don't know how much beer I'll need to buy my friends for helping, but luckily they don't have expensive taste, Bud and Coors light is what they like. I like Rum and Vodka myself, beer just makes me pee a lot.

Quote:
I will let you know if I come up with any other useful ideas along the way.
Absolutely, even if it isn't something that works for me or in my situation, I always like to hear about other peoples ideas and experiences. That's largely where I get my ideas from.

P.S.
I'm off to go put in the "stake lines" to mark the actual spot for the greenhouse. I'll post pictures again when I have everything marked out. I'll probably know late next week if the credit card is approved, and if so for how much.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-21-2011 at 02:27 AM.