View Single Post
Old 06-17-2011, 10:18 PM

hey... i was wondering what size flour pot a tomato plant actually needs?... if not too big.. i could build my 8x4 foot table, line it with the drains for ebb and flow.. and then cover it with a thin 1/8 or 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood painted white so to not absorb light... then cut out a hole just large enough for the pot to fit in and drop it in..

then for other, smaller plants like the herbs and spices or leaf lettuce which is many, many plants per square foot i could get a 1x1 foot square pot with the holes in it, or drill them myself to grow this stuff in.. use pea gravel as a medium.. and this will significantly reduce the weight in pea gravel that i will actually need.. making this system much lighter, and even cheaper

should i do this with the pots set into a top over the entire table... what other kinds of systems could i employ with ebb and flow?... i could potentially position PVC pipe under the canopies of the larger plants or in between smaller ones to drip nutrients i bet..

i might even be able to have a solution of water under the table at all times... a passive system, i might look into those more....

if i had a system that continuously drilled solution.. i think my best bet would be to put the nutrients solution on a table above the plants.. so that gravity would feet it.. and when the upper resovoir got to a certain level (using a float as a switch).. it would turn on a pump and pump all the nutrients back up to the top.. this way the pump wouldnt run constantly.. and should there ever be a power outage i could atleast keep them fed

one question with this setup... what would be the best medium in a drip setup?.. probably something that retained water

so im liking this individual pot idea ive just thought of using.. so im wondering what you guys think would be the best system for it?

Last edited by animus_divinus; 06-17-2011 at 10:22 PM.