View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

You don't need to worry about the "size" of the pump but rather the max head height. I should be two feet (IMHO) above the top of your system so 3' system needs 5' max head height for enough pressure. You will find 5' max head height in a variety of pump "sizes" so just go for the most afordable one.
To maxamize you space, think about a verticle growing (not with pipes verticle but stacked horizonal) you should be able to stack several 4 to 6 inch pvc pipes that will grow most plants (except maybe tomatoes) on a simple shelf type system. This type of system will also give you more options in regards to keeping your plants cool enough. This type of system can utilize both NTF, flood and drain and drip. I think a NTF system will keep your roots cooler in warm temps and you will have better success.
Your reservoir needs to be as big as you can possibly go; I use a 50 gal barrel. Maybe under the deck? If you could mostly bury it and cover it with some insulating hard foam (the kind with reflective foil on one side) that will go a long way to keeping your nutes cool. I also just freeze gallon milk jugs and put one in about mid-day and that seems to keep them cool in 100+ degree heat.
There are thousands of pictures out there on the world wide web and on this site to give you some ideas.