View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 01:14 AM

Hello watercatwn6535nd,
It's been quite a long time since I've seen your user name, good to hear from you again. Hope things are going well for you these days, and hope you'll catch us up on what you've got going. Ya, my greenhouse quite a project. But I'm in the home stretch, I was just hoping to have a few months of sales before I really needed to test the sub T system. But with days like today that are already in the mid 90's, the cooling systems will likely all need to be up and running from the first day of operation. I have all the hydro systems running, But I do have some leaks to fix. I had to pull out all of the inside silicone seals because the silicone wont stick to the plastic, especially as the plastic flexes.

I'm in the process of resealing all the grow beds with pluming goop instead. It works fine, and bonds to the plastic well, but it's not the easiest job to do. First I need to run water through each level one at a time/day, then mark where the remaining leaks are. Then use the wet dry vac to get the rest of the remaining water out of each grow bed that still has a leak. Dry the rest out with towels, and search for any holes. When I pulled out all the silicone, it was frustrating at times (as well as in uncomfortable positions). In doing so I made some holes in the plastic. Then once I think I have it all resealed, I need to wait two days for it to fully cure before I can recheck that level by running water through the system. Then do it all over again if there is still leaks. I hope to have them running leak free by this weekend. But all it takes is a pinhole for water to seep through the plastic. It's easy to make pinholes in the plastic when you need to climb on/in the grow bed to fix them in place.

Considering all the money spent on the plastic in the first place, plus the adhesive to laminate it to the wood, silicone I originally tried to seal it with, hot glue for the corners and outside seams, not to mention all the pluming goop it takes to redo the inside seams now. I'm thinking it may have been better/cheaper to just fiberglass the inside of grow beds instead. It would probably be close in cost, and I would still need to use the mesh for strength because the grow beds took a lot of abuse banging them around before they were set in their final place (and a likely cause for a lot of the original leaks). But may be much less of a headache in the long run.

P.S. T'Mater
Good idea, my camera takes video, and once I have the systems running leak free I'll make a video. I don't do videos much because they are only in real player format. But I think I have a program (or can download one free) that can convert it to windows media player.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.