View Single Post
Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
How does veggy oil buring in a generator not put out carbon?
To be honest, I am not a chemist, and can't tell you exactly. Though I have read from two places that leads to that effect. One is from here:

http://nysunworks.org/wp-content/upl...escription.pdf
"CB-1750 51 kW vegetable oil furnace (Cleanburn) (seasonal use)"

Also I do know (Not saying this is the case but) you can take any engine/motor and make it clean burning with the right filters in the exhaust system.

Quote:
I like the idea a lot but its so small and doesnt have a food impact on its town its in people just think of it as a fad.
I think you are still missing the point. the barge was never meant to solve the problem and feed the city with it's produce. It is however a prototype on how that can be done. As you mentioned having these on every rooftop in a major city will do a lot of good (not one barge). The barge is meant to teach how it can be done, not to feed the world. It has been estimated that all the rooftops in NY is enough space to feed all the residence of New York state. That's the point.

You cant expect someone to spend the money to build a system to feed millions, without it being a proven system in the first place. The Science barge has been on-going sense 2006, that has given them time to accumulate lots of data. If your waiting for someone o build a farming operation that will feed the city of New York, well that's what everyone's waiting for. That's Why it hasn't been done, they all want to leave it up to someone else. That's the point of the Science Barge, to teach a better way to the young people (that are not stuck on the old ways).

Do you remember 20 years ago, computers were just starting out, bulky and slow (even though it didn't seem like it at the time). It was because of the students (and there knowledge) we have progressed to this point (not a that's all we can do attitude). All technology, and progress, is dew to people with the passion to better things. Young or old. Although the young tend to not remember the past, allowing them to focus on the future.