Thread: Animal fodder
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

yes, I already have one really similar and plan to use it as I think 15 minutes will be way too long. I plan to use two 5 gal buckets, one clean and one waste. I have been watching lots of youtube vids and I have a solid idea of how I want to go about it. I need to get it done because I am the only one who tends it and just like yesterday, I got called into work "right now" and they set dry till I got home at 2am. With it automated I would only have to take care of it once a day instead of twice or three times. Right now I rinse it in the afternoon when I wake up and start new seeds soaking and I sometimes rinse it in the am when I get home but it's more likely that I will just spritz it real good and go to bed. What I have been doing is working great but I think it would do better getting three good rinses in instead of two to get some of the fermenting water out more often.
The chickens love the fodder both at day 3 and day 7. They coming running when I go out to let them out to roam and scratch. They use to go straight into the garden area but now I am tripping over them to get to the fodder feed station. I know they will really love the greens when all the good stuff is covered by snow and I know that I am feeding them the best quality feed that I can. I also have cut way down on the commercial chicken feed I buy because they are eating the fodder.
Attached Images

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 10-24-2013 at 06:53 PM.