View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 07:21 PM

Default Working a concept: feedback appreciated

Basic Info: We have access to a 300,000 sq ft warehouse with it's own hydro electric plant ( super cheap electricity) as well as it's own well.The warehouse ( an old mill building ) is in a suburban/almost rural area of Massachusetts( town population 10K) within a short drive to major urban population basis. I can probably get gross rents ( includes heat/electric/taxes ) at $3/ft/yr with the ability to provide "micro" spaces of 500-100,2000 sq ft. or large spaces at 50,000 sq ft or more ( the mill is empty )
Concept that I'm "toying with": Basically creating an indoor community garden, year round.

On an initial basis, I would like to keep things cheap and simple ( let things develop and let the group decide it's future...ie: coops, more advanced systems, etc

So: couple initial questions: if the systems were BASIC (ie: lighting/water/beds) how much space would an average family of 4 use? 500 sq ft? 1,000 sq ft?

If the cost is $3/ft/year...can there be a return to the family on production VS buying at the market?

What are your thoughts on this concept?

Next: eventually, we have access to fairly large wholesale contracts to purchase the produce...pretty much whatever can be produced can be sold locally at wholesale prices.....our base cost is $3/ft..plus..shipping/manpower/etc....what are the economics?

Thoughts? feedback? Again, this is just an initial thought process. Wondering if it has legs!