View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 AM

Well time flys,
I've been busy, but not as busy as I would have liked to be. The weather is really setting me back right now. I had finished the grow beds last week (Wednesday-Thursday), but needed to get them installed by Friday to have enough time to install the greenhouse covering before the rains. That didn't happen because all my helpers had other obligations (one had a back injury). I did however get in touch with my neighbor and got five of them installed Saturday before time ran out and he had to get to other obligations. As usual everything seems to take longer than expected.

Anyhow now I have 5 grow beds installed now and no covering before the rain. So I went out and got some drop cloths to cover them (not pictured) from the rain. The rain shouldn't hurt them, but filled with rain water they will take many more hours of work to clean and dry out again before I could continue work on them.

For the inside of the grow beds I created a lip for the bluebord to rest on. I used a compost wood decking material that isn't made from wood. It's actually a waterproof plastic material that resembles wood for outdoor decks. I cut it into one inch blocks to create the inside lip. Then I created a jig to install them, that way they would all be at the same level/height, as well as straight.

Once I cut them all I pre-screwed in the screws to make installation easier. Once they were screwed in, I took them all out again. Why? Because the screw holes wouldn't be waterproof that way. But once I had everything in place and all the holes drilled, all I needed to do was dab a bit of marine goop on all the screw holes and screw them back in the same holes. I didn't use silicone there because it never would have cured properly in that application.

Right now I'm just waiting to install the rest of the grow beds, I need a 3 day window without any chance of rain to be comfortable in doing that. Not that they will take that long to install, but I want a two day window to be able to install the covering on the greenhouse (after installing the grow beds).

But in the meantime I have some other things I can work on. Like getting the greenhouse ready to cover with the poly covering, and all the Polypropylene Batten Tape cut to size and ready. As well as the different sections of the greenhouse covering cut to size and ready. Also the press I need to build to flatten the bottom of the pots that will be holding the plants (because they have rounded bottoms, and don't sit flat). Not to mention putting together the water filtration system.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 12-15-2011 at 07:04 AM.