View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 AM

OK, I understand now, the picture did it.

I don't see a problem there. Though I don't know of anything that will allow the transfer of liquid and will stop roots from going through it (root proof). I don't see a problem with that, because with what this picture shows the roots sticking out of the containers wont be a problem..

Basically you have a bathtub that floods to a pre determined height with plants sitting in it. I would want to clean out the tub often because all the light will promote algae growth to everywhere that is not in the dark. Though what you have in mind is quite reasonable.

Quote:
My thoughts / concerns are the timing for the flood drain cycle. Should I use sprayers or drips or try flooding the whole pot? I could always valve the drain so the pot will fill and hold the water for a time and then drain.
This statement had me confused (and still does) because you are talking about three different types of systems, sprayers (areoponics), drips (drip system), flooding the whole pot (ebb & flow/ flood & drain) . Though what you have described with the last post and the picture is a "ebb & flow/flood & drain" system. I see no problems (other than then the one described earlier) with that system. Though I would not let the medium soak in water any longer than necessary for root vegetables. I have not done any root vegetables but like all hydroponic plants all that you need is to just keep the roots from drying out (not soaked).

I would take a note from Luches had to say because perlite and/or vermiculite would be a bad choice with this type of system.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-13-2009 at 03:30 AM.