View Single Post
Old 03-19-2012, 06:39 AM

fintuckyfarms
As always I'm behind you all the way. I'm sorry if it didn't seem that way in my last post/s. I had some bare root strawberry plants I orders (30 of them) kept in our refrigerator for almost a year before I decided not to keep them anymore. They didn't take up much space at all, and wouldn't think it would take up much space to keep 120.

But bottom line, the way I understand it is the plants are already starting to grow whether you had a place to keep them or not. I hope you aren't allergic to strawberry's too??? You'll have strawberry's months before the fair. Try and keep the plants manicured (trim the old growth) to allow air circulation between the leaves. In good conditions you can probably keep old strawberry plants producing longer than normal. But if you can't control the temperatures (both root zone, and air temps) the plants will go into survival mode (aborting fruiting). I would expect the old plants to become stressed much easier. That's the main reason I would want the plants to be in their prime at the time of the fair (high temps of August). In order to reduce the effects of the stress they will be subject to.