View Single Post
Old 11-02-2014, 10:35 PM

Hello Tommy,
I forgot to mention in my private message even though I don't really think it would be worth it, or even necessary in a small system. If you still want to kill any microorganisms in your nutrient solutions, I would suggest you look into UV light treatment. The practice has been around for well over 50 years, and is used to sanitize well water. UV light treatments are how commercial hydroponic growers control things, and because the light doesn't touch your plants, it will never harm the plants at all. I think I have seen small units online for around $40-$60. I plan to build my own after I have my commercial greenhouse up and running. It also wont kill beneficial microbes in the growing media either, simply because the light treatment never touches the growing media or roots to be able to do so. So you get the best of both worlds.

Here is an example of a UV light treatment unit:
AquaTop In-Line UV Sterilizer 10W - IL10UV

Not bad, 211 GPH max flow for under $40. Actually for that price, I wont build my own, I would just get some like those. My greenhouse has 3, 275 gallon reservoir's.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-03-2014 at 06:18 AM.