View Single Post
Old 10-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
OK, I am not sure how your system is planed to be setup particularly why you would need pots in the growing containers as you described for root Vegetables. The growing containers should be the pots? If you have one growing medium sitting in a pot then setting that pot in another growing medium the roots don't stop at the border they will continue into the other medium. Then when you try to pull it up you will be ripping it all out anyway. If you are looking for something that you can pull up and replace in a single system you might want to keep in mind the roots. They grab onto everything.
Trying to think of how to describe what I have in mind. There is one large box which has a lip hight at least 12" high. This will be the box that has the connectors to the pumps and the reservoirs. So when the system cycles it will fill with water but doesn't have any growing medium or plants in it. I then fill a pot with growing medium and line the bottom of the pot with a root proof liner. Then it gets dropped into the large box. Then when the large box gets flooded the fluid will also go into the pot through the holes in the bottom. Roots should be kept inside the pot by the screen.

The idea is that the large box will hold 4+ of the "growing pots" and that I can rotationally plant vegies. When the plants in one box are ready to be eaten I just pull the whole pot out and drop in the next ready planted one.

This picture shows a smaller version of what I have in mind. The other advantage as well is the drain and inlet pipes are completely seperate to the growing medium so the pipes shouldn't get blocked and the medium shouldn't flow into the tank.

As for what I am growing the plan is carrots and beetroot. They both have similar nutrient requirements and growth times and the idea is to plant on 4 weekly cycles which should produce enough to be a staple food source.