View Single Post
Old 10-26-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I guess you can go solo from here... but in case you have further questions, do not hesitate to rattle my bamboo cage!
Hello Luches,

Just a quick rattle of the cage! I came across this quote recently -
Quote:
Crop demand for nutrients changes through the season. Small amounts of nutrients are needed early, then the demand increases as the crop grows, especially after several clusters of fruit have been set on the plant. A common problem comes early in the season when plants become too vegetative (bullish) from too much N. The bullish growth distorts the leaves and stems, causing cracks and grooves in the stems. These openings are excellent entry ports for decay-causing organisms such as soft rot. Bullish plants usually produce misshapen fruits often with significant amounts of blossom-end rot and cat-facing. Keeping the N level low (60 to 70 parts per million) early in the season helps eliminate bullishness.
Does this mean that one should maybe keep EC down around the 0.9 or 1.0 mark until the plants begin to show signs of fruiting? I've had the occasional case of blossom end rot in tomatoes, but it's never been a real problem. I'd be interested in your comments.

Cheers,

Errol