View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 12:55 PM

First of all you went about the germinating with the rockwool cube wrong. What your supposed to do is soak the cube and give it a few hard shakes to get rid of excess water, like you were shaking water off your hands. How wet is the cube now? You dont want it soaked, when I germinate using them I only wet it that one time but that might not work for you depending on the humidity and the temperature. Just dont let it dry out, keep it MOIST, not saturated.

No it will not matter if the cube doesnt touch the water. The roots will grow down into it, but until it does keep the cube from drying out completely.

Not sure where your located or whats available but I would use the General Hydroponics 3 part nutrients. They are the best available IMO. First of all they have pH buffers in them so you wont have to adjust the pH as often. Second of all they are cheap, and third because they are 3 part nutrients it is easier to tweak your feeding schedule to accomodate your plants. Your RES should be changed every 2 weeks realistically. You could go alot longer without changing the res by adding back nutes. Thats hard for beginners though because plants uptake nutes in different ratios and that all depends on the specific plant. I would just add back plain water and change the res every two weeks. If you dont you will end up with salt buildup which will cause nutrient lockout and pH issues.

Ask away man thats what the forum is here for