Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My seeds are sowed!

Old 06-24-2011, 10:09 PM

It has been many years (about 7) since I have been over the road, but I think I remember that truck stop. I don't know if it has remained the same since then. But I remember it being in a mostly industrial area, with a small diner that was open 24 hours (I especially liked that), a small bar that only stayed open if there was enough customers. I think they had a Laundromat and showers as well. I also remember it being mostly a dirt or gravel parking lot, and there was a fast food restaurant right next to the truck parking (burger king, jack in the box, or something like that). I spent a few nights there myself. I only had a delivery there once (that I remember), mostly I would just be passing through on my way to Spokane or Montana (then back again).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 06-24-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Soooo, the animals knocked my camera off the couch and I thought I could test it out by shooting some more picts of the veggies. Still have more sprouting everyday. I have some carrots, celerly, sugar beans, peppers, tomatos, zuchinni, and 3 different kinds of lettuce. I replanted some lettuce and they are starting to pop up. So far, no dampening off with the new bunch.

Outside the bean and squash plants are exploding! This week the squash has doubled in size and new leaves. The bean plant has about 6 beans and several more flowers and I noticed today, new groups of flowers. The canalope are finally growing. I thought maybe I killed them with the high PH, but they seem to be bouncing back. I don't know if it was the "tea" I added this week, getting the correct PH or the cooler nute temps but something is working!

I did nute change last night to the floranova, man that stuff is thick! I can see it clinging to the roots; not changing the root color, just hanging on it. It was weird, but if they like it..... When I rechecked the PH this am it was spot on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 001.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1267   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 002.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1268   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 007.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1269   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 009.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1270   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 010.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	1271  

Old 06-26-2011, 12:24 AM

I like the flora nova, I also added water tonight in my new system and added some nutes as my are under 500ppm. I add some of the FLORAMATO and will see how that affects my crop.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I am still waiting for the floramato
Old 06-27-2011, 12:13 PM

So my second batch of lettuce is doing the same thing as the first Could it be something besides dampening as it is only affecting the lettuce (all 3 varities) all of the other veggies are not affected and I was very careful to not over water the cubes. The first batch is still mostly alive and growing, just laying down. Could it be a nute shortage? They are getting a very week mixture right now with a PH averge of 6.2 sometimes higher sometimes lower.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:11 PM

seeds don't need any nutrients at all before they have begun growing their first set of real leaves. Then when starting to use nutrients on them, I wouldn't use any more than 1/4 strength. Your pH is fine, honestly I never really check pH for seedlings myself (I'm just lazy that way). But if your lettuce sprouts are still falling over, a few things come to mind. First what is the temperature? Lettuce is a cool weather plant, and may have trouble with temps above 80F. The second is even though you are careful not to over water the growing medium, their roots may still not be getting enough oxygen. You might try using a different growing medium, something that dosen't hold nearly as much moisture, and a lot more air like perlite or vermiculite. Lastly the relative humidity could be an issue. I don't seem to really have too much trouble, but I don't grow a lot of lettuce and I know it's more important for seedlings to have good humidity.

They should be able to start growing a couple pair of leaves without any nutrients. Even when starting to use nutrients a real weak nutrient solution is better, and a pH between 5.5 and 6.5 is in range. So honestly if the roots are getting enough oxygen, the temperature are in the mid to upper 70's, their getting enough light (and it looks like enough light for seedlings), and relative humidity is good, I'm stumped.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 PM

So it's been a few days and I thought I would show you the growth... Still having issues with the lettuce but I upped the nute strength and everything is growing; even some of the lettuce that I though was a gonner.
On a side note: How do I know when to pick the beans? They look really big for the plant.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	583
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1279   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	1280   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 005.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1281   Click image for larger version

Views:	619
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1282  
Old 07-01-2011, 03:30 PM

I have squash flowers!!! 2 male flowers but I can see more coming It is getting so big now. Bought all the stuff for the new system 2 days ago, but then got food poisoning and I haven't been able to get it assembled.
On a side note, I have been giving my "gonner" lettuce a small daily dose of nutes with a dropper and they are goming back, still leaning over but growing and looking stronger.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM

So the FLORMATO dry is still backordered so I sent an e-mail to the company and this is their reply. Just FYI for those of you still looking for it out there.

Hello Tracy,

"I am sorry to say that this product has been discontinued due to lack of demand. There is still some out on the marketplace but we have ceased production and are looking at re-branding it early next year. In lieu of the FloraMato you are encouraged to use our MaxiSeries dry nutrients. You can find out more about these products at the following link:

GENERAL HYDROPONICS

Have a great day,

Matthew Durst
General Hydroponics
Phone: 707-824-9376
Fax: 707-824-9377"
Old 07-02-2011, 01:34 AM

looks like the same blend wonder how much that costs. they have made the blend a growing blend and added a bloom blend. would like to see the ingredients to see what micro nutrients are and see what the real difference is.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 PM

I found some FLORMATO dry on-line and it should be here around the 8th Tomorrow is my day off so I plan to get my second system built and get those plants outside in the fresh air and sunshine!!! You know me... I will post picts.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM

So I started my new system today... kind of. It is soooo hot here so I just work on it for a few minutes and then retreat back inside for some ice water. I have the stands done so far..... Gonna make some dinner and hit it again.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM

So I thought a quick update might be in order since I will be moving things around tonight. I moved the cantalope to the new system, but I don't know it they will stay there. All the inside plants will be going outside tonight into the new system.

The squash/pumpkin is getting huge, but still only male flowers. I have 3 flowers on the cantalope and they are also male. I wonder if it has something to do with the temp or ph or it is just something they do???

I have harvested the beans twice now and there are still several more coming.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	574
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1289   Click image for larger version

Views:	556
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1290   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1291   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 006.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1292   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 012.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1293  

Old 07-16-2011, 08:21 PM

Pollinated my first pumpkin today!!! There are at least two more females growing but they are not open yet. I can wait. I also spotted 2 female flowers on the cantalope today, again still closed but maybe tomorrow or the next day.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:50 PM

So it's been awhile since I posted so it's way past time for an update. Pumpkins are doing good, only 2 have made it larger then a golf ball. All the others have died. The two are still hanging in their hammocks and growing and are turning pumpkin orange. I can no longer reach around them and touch finger to finger. I think the heat this week did some damage, but I hope it pulls through.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	546
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1597   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 005.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	1598   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 008.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1599  
Old 09-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Nice...I hope they fully develop for you..
Old 09-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Pumpkins are still growing and getting darker orange each day. I had to tear the inside system down as the lettuce bolted and it was done. I think I am done for a while, but if I do anything it will be another inside lettuce and spinach dwc bubbler. At least till I get my greenhouse built.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:25 AM

still a fine job you have done.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Thanks, it is a lot of fun and a great de-stressor from my job. I have learned so much and now have even more plans. Thanks to everyone for their advise and support.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:58 PM

I think they are almost done!

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	542
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1658   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 008.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1659