Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

What nutrients should I get?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Default What nutrients should I get?

I just built an outdoor aeroponic rail system to grow mostly tomato plants . I am using a very large cooler as a reservoir in hopes of being able to keep the water/nute temps at a reasonable level during the summer. All I need now are the nutrients for the plants. I know some nutes especially the organic types can cost an arm and a leg but I'm looking for something on the cheaper side. Doesn't matter what type just as long as it will work for tomato plants.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Hello Stan,
I don't know what your price range is, but I would probably recommend "FLORAMATO DRY" by General Hydroponics because it's specifically formulated for tomato's. It's also good for other continuously flowering plants as well. I haven't used it myself, but always here good things about it. Also it's made by General Hydroponics, and you just cant go wrong there. Especially for new hydroponic growers that want good results, and less to worry about. Almost any hydro retailer caries it, but here is a link to see what I'm referring to: Floramato Dry

I have been using the Verti-grow nutrients lately myself, and have been having good luck with it on lettuce, melons, broccoli, my radishes and green onions, and from what I can tell so far my new pepper plants (I still need to post pics of them). I just haven't tried them on tomatoes yet, but in case your intrested here is the link: The Verti-Gro Hydroponic Fertilizers and Nutrients - Organic and Hydroponic Growing for Commercial and Hobby Growers

This is exactly what I have been using:
2 lbs. 5-10-25 Hydroponic Formula, SKU#: F510252, Unit Price: $11.95 (shipping $6.50)
2 lbs. Calcium Nitrate 15-0-0, SKU#: F15002, Unit Price: $8.95 (Shipping $6.00)

This makes 250 gallons of nutrient solution mixed per instructions, more if you mix it weaker. For $20.90 + shipping $12.50 Total: $33.40. But they also have the combo package: Nutrient Combo 4 lbs ea. 5-10-25 & 15-0-0, SKU#: FCombo, for $39.95 (shipping included) $6.50 more than buying them the other way but it makes twice as much.

It's a 2 part nutrient, first part is the "hydroponic formula" (fertilizer) the second part is the "calcium nitrate." Both come as a dry mix, you mix 2 pounds each separately into one gallon water jugs. At that point you have both parts pre-mixed as a liquid concentrate (instructions are on the label). Then to make the nutrient solution you mix 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons (10mL to 15mL) of each part per gallon of water. The label says 1/2 to 3/4 ounces per gallon (1 fluid oz = 30mL). As with most all hydroponic nutrients it's better to mix it a little weak, especially in hot weather or for small plants (seedlings about 1/4 strength) .
Old 05-09-2011, 11:48 AM

ck out hydro-gardens.com
they use to be owned by Tim at verti-gro.
price of fertilizers are dirt cheap
they know tomatoes and and give the customers great support
Old 05-09-2011, 01:05 PM

Just wanted to thank you both! I really like the Verti-Gro and Hydro-Garden site. I will contact both companies to see which 1 I will order from.

Thanks again!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:17 PM

If you ever get a chance, check out Florikan Dynamite. essentially, once the ammonia-based nitrogen is removed (leavingonly nitrates) it's 6.5-13-13 and quite awesome. In a 4 gallon DWC I had a huge vine of tomatoes hanging from my second floor balcony, going a good 6 feet down. You just have to grind it up very well, toss in a teaspoon per gallon until you've got about 3-4 foot long main vine and then double up.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM

I might build a separate DWC system just to try the Florikan Dynamite since you've got excellent results using it. I really want to see how it compares with the nutes I will be using with the aero rail system. Again thanks for the suggestion!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I might build a separate DWC system just to try the Florikan Dynamite since you've got excellent results using it. I really want to see how it compares with the nutes I will be using with the aero rail system. Again thanks for the suggestion!
Have a picture of clones in soil vs hydro, both using Florikan Dynamite.

Note how much better the hydro plants look. The ones in soil were the mother plants and the clones outgrew the mothers just that rapidly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	soilvhydro.jpg
Views:	950
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1128  
Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophotobio View Post
Have a picture of clones in soil vs hydro, both using Florikan Dynamite.

Note how much better the hydro plants look. The ones in soil were the mother plants and the clones outgrew the mothers just that rapidly.
That's some amazing results. The hydro plants look very healthy. You sold me on this stuff, I'll be placing an order.