Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

difference between CF and EC

Old 01-30-2009, 06:57 AM

Default difference between CF and EC

Ron, Is there a difference between CF and EC ? (I am in Australia.Is this a "cross-pacific thing?)
Can this be measured with a multimeter? (If not, then what Can this be a problem (or am I getting
slower growth) by not testing for this?(i do test pH) I seem to get fairly good results for my "special"
crop but want to maximise output for what I can legally grow (~South Australia WOO-HOO . I
like growing in expanded clay balls but am curious ..is it better to leave water constantly circulating
through my system(when lights on)or should it be on/off ? My area is fairly hot and the plants use a
lot of water. (the roots that are coming ut my drainage holes are extremely healthy! Would pieces of
rockwool within the mix allow less watering? How many times can you re-use clay aggregate?

Lots of quetions I know but good information on hydro is hard to find (and your FULL OF IT!!
(and I mean that in the nicest possible way!!) Thanx heaps for any info. EK Holden

Old 01-30-2009, 06:58 AM

I can't find any thing in my books about CF. A multimeter doesn't have an internal electrical source
to send across its electrodes to get a ppm reading. A multimeter uses an external electrical source to
work.
If you leave the water flowing you should put an air pump and air stone in your nutrient tank to
supply your plant roots with oxygen. Some times just the movement of your water is enough to add
air but those air pumps are so cheap it wouldn't hurt to add one.
The ebb and flow action of the bottle gardens suck in oxygen to the roots when the water lowers and
pushes the bad air out when the water rises.
Expanded clay aggregate lasts forever but I clean and wash it with a 10 % bleach solution between
each use.
Ron