Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

the roots are brown and rotten

Old 02-14-2009, 07:07 AM

Default the roots are brown and rotten

help I have complete plant collapse and the roots are brown and rotten whats happening?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:08 AM

Your plants are dieing because of nutrient problems, or watering problems, well maybe not. It might be a lighting problem or a heat problem or a ventilating problem. Or maybe you are just not cut out to be a hydroponic grower. Go back to dirt and leave hydroponics to the big boys and girls.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Default Ron?

Ron are you trying to be an A-Hole or does that just come naturally? I think you may be the one who needs to leave as I don't think your interested in being a help to anyone but yourself!

Molly if you still need help please message me.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:47 PM

I had a similar issue with an outdoor aeroponic system which was highly susceptible to ph fluctuations. One day it would be fine and the next the roots would be brown and disintegrating and I would check the ph only to see it was way off.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:38 AM

Molly check the temps in you reservoir. This post is highly lacking the information we need to give a correct diagnosis but I would start with res temps. If your doing an ebb and flow system this shouldnt be as big a problem as it would be with DWC but something to start with. I would be more than happy to help you diagnose the problem if you would like. I would love to see you growing better plants than Ron and will help you do so.

Ron: Why bother post if you have nothing to offer? Doesnt sound to me like your a big boy at all but rather an immature little high school kid growing plants under and incandescent light but.

Peace
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to nilsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1zjd View Post

Ron: Why bother post if you have nothing to offer? Doesnt sound to me like your a big boy at all but rather an immature little high school kid growing plants under and incandescent light but.

Peace
Ownage. Lol.
Thanks for that, you made me laugh.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:06 PM

i would not waste my time or money on hydroponics, its a complete farse,
many of crop has been ruined by hydro, they were born in soil they should grow in soil, that is unless you want to spend 5 hours a day checking your ph/ ec .. and watching your roots go brown and die, get some pots and miracle grow..far better yeild, and you dont have to look after them like a new born baby
your roots are in the open and verry suseptable to basicaly anything , drownding ..drying out, root rot fungus, white fly..you name it.

Last edited by iceman; 10-19-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
i would not waste my time or money on hydroponics, its a complete farse,
many of crop has been ruined by hydro, they were born in soil they should grow in soil, that is unless you want to spend 5 hours a day checking your ph/ ec .. and watching your roots go brown and die, get some pots and miracle grow..far better yeild, and you dont have to look after them like a new born baby
your roots are in the open and verry suseptable to basicaly anything , drownding ..drying out, root rot fungus, white fly..you name it.
Sorry you feel that way. It's true that growing hydroponically is more time consuming, but it's a proven fact that it will produce better crops. For those who don't want to, or cant put the time into hydroponics it may not be for you. I personally enjoy giving my plants the attention and watching how fast they grow. The broccoli plants I transplanted into a drip system one week ago have doubled in size scence then (in just one week). I don't know of any plants that cant be grown hydroponically if done wright (that may take some time to figure out).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-20-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:16 PM

i cant figure it out, i start off with a pete pellet, in a propogator, when its showing roots it goes into a 4 inch rockwool cube, then it takes weeks to show roots out of the block, i wait till theres quite a few roots showing then
i set my tank up sort the nutes and ph i use blue lab truncheons

i then put the blocks into the tank with my pump on slow, arroung 400-500 mil per minute. they show sighns of roots onto the spreader matt, then the rockwool blocks get completley soaked, and the roots turn brown, then the plants just droop as if there overwatered, then the leaves go yellow verry quickly, i have tried leaving the pump off to dry them out a bit but to no avail
and they end up dead, there tomatoes, and i was at 5.8 PH... and nutes at 1.4 or 14 depending on what scale your using

the first time i tried it about a year ago it worked fine, a spreader matt full of roots, tomatoes everywhere, the thing is, i dont think im doing anything different
Old 10-20-2009, 02:50 AM

First I need to know witch of the six type of systems (or combination of) you are using.

1.Drip system
2. Ebb-Flow
3. NFT
4. Water Culture
5. Aeroponics
6. Wick System

I understand that you have been having the same problem for a while. Are tomatoes what you are trying to grow or does it not seem to matter, and you been having this problem no mater what you were trying to grow?

Quote:
i use blue lab truncheons
If I understand correctly these are pH test strips?

Quote:
they show sighns of roots onto the spreader matt, then the rockwool blocks get completley soaked, and the roots turn brown
I am not sure what the spreader matt is for but the type of system may help explain that. Can you give me a link to what spreader matts you ate using?

Quote:
i have tried leaving the pump off to dry them out a bit but to no avail
and they end up dead,
how fast are you talking about here, minutes, hours or days?

Quote:
there tomatoes, and i was at 5.8 PH
this probably could be a little higher for tomatoes although 5.8 is is within there range.

Quote:
nutes at 1.4 or 14 depending on what scale your using
I assume you are talking about PPM here, and for tomatoes that is at the low end of the range at 1400-3500. Though as I said before I don't even own a PPM or TDS meter, so I cant even check it for my plants but have not had a problem there yet.

Quote:
and the roots turn brown, then the plants just droop as if there overwatered, then the leaves go yellow verry quickly,
I have an idea that the nutrient temp is too high because I have had the same problem here before. The nutrient temp for all plants should be between 68-72 degrees. If it is not cool to the touch it's way too high. Also any flowers will turn yellow and fall off as a survival instinct.

I am assuming that you are using commercially made hydroponic nutrients? I am only familiar with one type but if you have a link to what you are using it may help. I also am not sure what your growing environment is like, heat, humidity and lighting, all can be factors. If you have any pictures of the system it would help. I am sure we can get it figured out. I am no expert in hydroponics but I love to help anyone I can.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-20-2009 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
i would not waste my time or money on hydroponics, its a complete farse
Advice: Leave what you dislike, - nobody gets any good results from something they don't like.

But while it is OK to not like something an leaving it - it is not to play the "Statement Of Conversion:

The speaker says then: "I used to believe in X".
It is quite a weak form of asserting expertise. The speaker is implying that he has learned about the topic, and now that he is better informed, - has rejected X. So perhaps he is now an expert, - and this is an implied "Argument From false Authority".

Yeah right - FALSE authority

Last edited by Luches; 10-20-2009 at 07:18 AM.