Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

Small indoor herb garden light

Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Default Small indoor herb garden light

Hi I was wondering would a Kessil H350 Purple be enough for a small herb garden say 4ftx4ft or so? I'm looking to do something small mainly for some herbs, basil, rosemary, etc for cooking.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 PM

Hello Hdale85,

Assuming these links are the led light your talking about:

http://www.ecocityhydroponics.com/ke...row-light.html

http://growershouse.com/kessil-h350-...ght-350-purple

I can't say that I'm familiar with that brand, and have never checked into their quality. With a price tag ranging between $229 and $450 depending on what website you find it, going by price alone, it should be good quality. However I would always recommenced you check the company out before shelling out that kind of money. There are tones of cheap knock offs coming out of china they try and sell as good quality LED's.

With that said, it's rare that 1 LED light is good for much other than starting seedlings, even a good quality one. Assuming it is good quality, from what I just read on the retail site about it, the manufacture states it's good for a 3 foot growing radius. And the manufactures always overstate their products capability's. I would say it's likely closer to a 2 foot radius before the light intensity drops drastically. Which is typical of the lumen drop for good quality LED's. The light intensity (throw) for good quality LED's is no better than florescent lighting (2 feet) before it the lumen output drops drastically.

Which is also why (like florescent lighting) it takes more than 1 LED light fixture to get decent coverage, and if the plant's are of any real size, can take lots of LED light fixtures to get good coverage. With lots of LED light fixtures in close proximity the residual lumen intensity beyond 2 feet increases.

Again I haven't checked out the company, but giving the the benefit of the doubt and assuming that LED is good quality. I would say that one of those LED lights is probably only going to be good for 2x2 feet. And if the plant is any larger than 2 feet, the lower portion will suffer from lack of enough light. Even if the plant isn't two feet tall the lower portion can still suffer from lack of light if the top portion shades the lower leaves.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-24-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:46 PM

Yeah I'm looking into more of a DIY solution now I think. I usually DIY stuff anyways lol. I might be able to do a bigger setup and do some veggies that way as well.