Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

Any experience w/ Compact Fluorescent Lights?

Old 04-20-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Any experience w/ Compact Fluorescent Lights?

Has anyone successfully used compact fluorescent lights, 100w-150w equivalents(swirl type) for every growth stage?

Old 04-20-2009, 04:35 PM

As far as the site below is concerned, there is no benefit to this type of bulb...

lights/compact-fluorescent-light-bulbs.html" target="_blank">Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | cfl Plant grow lights

When researching a topic like this it is good to do as much reading as needed to full understand the topic. Many factors come in to play. amount of power budget as well as the area you are covering.

Bustan - Toronto Hydroponics Grow Lights nutrients Hydroponic Supplies Canada

good luck to yah...
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Thank you for your reply. However, the site for which you provide the link, does not state that there is 'no benefit' when using compact fluorescent bulb. It states that they are less effective, but that there are adjustment you can make to increase their effectiveness. For instance, the use of reflectors and light height adjustments.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:58 AM

Default CFLs

I have and continue to use CFL's through the complete life cycle of plants. They can do just fine if you set them up right. You have to think about the size of the room your growing in first of all. A good target is 55watts per square foot. You need to keep your plants within 2-4" of the lights to be most effective. There are many arguments/discussions on the best orientation of the lighting but in my experience and my tests hanging the lights vertically is optimum. I have tested with my light meter and the majority of the light comes from the tip. I would be glad to offer any assistance. Peace
Old 06-23-2009, 03:51 PM

Default good day!

Is your CFL intended for hydroponics or is it just an ordinary CFL being used for house lighthing? because i am planning to use ordinary commercially available CFL for my hydroponics lettuce. how many watts should i use. tnx n Godbless.....