Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

reuse grow light?

Old 02-25-2010, 05:40 PM

Default reuse grow light?

Okay i am new to hydroponics so if this is all bs please let me know. I started my hydroponic project about 2 weeks ago, got all my supplies etc. After setting up and running for a few days i found my grow light i bought from walmart had blown :-(; i thought such a short life. Well i the process of researching hydroponics i saw a glimpse of another project someone was doing --hollowing out light bulbs. When i seen that my grow light had blown, which when i bought it i said hmm this looks like a normal light bulb with special paint. I decided i would try and hallow my light bulb out and put an led in it.

Guide to hollow out light bulb
Code:
http://www.teamdroid.com/diy-hollow-out-a-light-bulb/
I also had another regular light bulb that had blown so i decided to try with it first and the results were good.

However the grow light didn't turn out so great but

grow light with led flashlight behind it

What does everybody think?
will it work in growing my plants?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:35 PM

It can't hurt to try
Though I don't think that one light will be able to put out enough light for the plants. I also am not sure the purpose of reusing the old bulb, unless it's to reflect the light from the led in one direction with the mirrored surface of the old bulb. I would think it would be much simpler to construct a hood with the reflective surface and attach a bank of Led lights inside it. That would give it much more light output, and still focus the light in the desired direction. Also I am not sure, but I don't think just any Led light will work to grow plants. They would need to put out the right spectrum's of light to be effective.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:58 PM

i am not positive about this but i reused the bulb because the light bulb looked like a normal white bulb with special paint to make it a grow light (again i could be wrong)

With the idea tha it is special paint i took an led white light and put it in it.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
With the idea tha it is special paint i took an led white light and put it in it.
Ya, I know the paint does change the spectrum somewhat, though I don't think it will help much. Those type of grow lights don't really grow that well. That's why they usually use the Metal halide or High pressure Sodium bulbs for artificial lighting in hydroponics. That may do well for seedlings but I don't think it will do much past that. But again, you will only know if you try it.