Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

For Indoor Veggies

Old 07-25-2010, 05:19 PM

Default For Indoor Veggies

Is a blue spectrum light or a full spectrum light best? What would be the advantages/disadvantages of either?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:48 PM

I have never used any type of artificial light so I don't have first hand information on that. But first off it would depend on what plants you were growing. The blue spectrum light is generally best for growing foliage, where orange and red spectrum light help grow better fruit and vegetables. Again I have no first hand experience, but from what I have herd and read the full spectrum lights aren't all there cracked up to be. I guess it depends on the actual bulb and manufacture though. The way I understand it is that even though the full spectrum bulbs put out blue, orange and red spectrum's, the intensity of at least the orange and red spectrum is not good.

Kind of like saying you have a large glass of ice water, but it's actually just a large glass of warm water with only one ice cube in it. I have seen the charts that show the ranges of the spectrum for the full spectrum lights, and with lots of orange and red. But so far I have not herd of anyone having good luck with them, so I'm just not impressed by the charts. But again, I have never actually tried them myself. If it were me and I wanted both ends of the spectrum, I don't think you could beat a combination light fixture with one MH (metal halide) bulb, and one hps (high pressure sodium) bulb. Just make sure it's capable of it, I think they take two different ballasts.

P.S. Florescent's have two spectrum's also, I forget witch is witch right now though. I have even herd of an adjustable sprectrum led light, but I have not herd anything about how well they work. If I used LED, I would probably supplement it with some blue end florescent lights also.

Basics of Artificial Light for Hydroponics
Old 07-27-2010, 12:13 AM

Thanks!

I'll be wary of those charts and experiment with what I can. My hubby wouldn't let me buy the fixtures to turn my garden tub into a shower, so I'm turning that whole section of my bathroom into a hydrogarden.

Don't tell him the shower probably would have been cheaper ....

On a side note, I'm jumping around like a kid. My local library was able to borrow Hydroponic Food Production from VA Tech for me and it came in today! I'm so excited!
Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 PM

The light I prefer for indoor growing is the Ceramic Metal Halide, called the "Color Master" Bulb by Phillipps. It has good red and blue, it is made to work in a HPS fixture with a Magnetic Ballast. These bulbs only coe in 250 and 400 watt sizes, and you have to order either horizontal or vertical, as they are not interchangeable.

I have had good luck with it, it's really the best of both lights.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:49 AM

Default adjustable light

Check out the Jiffy light with adjustable stand and timer

https://ferrymorse.com/collections/hydroponic-growing-1
Old 06-12-2019, 02:25 AM

You want to use a Metal-halide HID light.