Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

LED Grow Lights

Old 05-17-2009, 05:08 PM

Default LED Grow Lights

I purchased a led grow light for my ebb and flow system. It seems to be doing the job. Has anyone else given it a try? I hear it's the latest in grow lights and is energy efficient. My plants are budding at this point and look healthy. I went as far as to cover up the window my sytem was by to see if the plants would flourish with LED light only. This is the first time I've ever had a hydroponic system. I figured that it would be a great experiment. If it works, then I can take it into my classroom and use Ron's wonderful lessons. I want to have my students study and grow vegetables during the school year as part of their earth science. It will be a blast!!! Also, does anyone out there have the recipe for using Miracle Grow, Calcium Nitrate and Epsom Salt?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenettaHogan View Post
I purchased a LED grow light for my ebb and flow system. It seems to be doing the job. Has anyone else given it a try? I hear it's the latest in grow lights and is energy efficient. My plants are budding at this point and look healthy. I went as far as to cover up the window my sytem was by to see if the plants would flourish with LED light only. This is the first time I've ever had a hydroponic system. I figured that it would be a great experiment. If it works, then I can take it into my classroom and use Ron's wonderful lessons. I want to have my students study and grow vegetables during the school year as part of their earth science. It will be a blast!!! Also, does anyone out there have the recipe for using Miracle Grow, Calcium Nitrate and Epsom Salt?
it will work. interesting info
Old 03-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Default me too with the leds

I just set up a 6 hole bubbling 3 gallon hydro system (simple...plants in grow cubes and volcanic clay stones in baskets dangling 1" into water with an air-stone and air pump.)
While I have a good background with hydroponics under 1,000 watt hid lights and hydrofarm units (several years ago) I have never tried leds, so I bought several 15x15 red and blue panels and just mounted one hanging over this simple hydro bubbling system. I am going to try and start with some simply flowers (carnations, etc) and a tomato plant all from seed to see how it works.
I am excited about the reduced power bill and low heat that led claims, and willl let you know how it goes....as soon as the seeds germinate, I will take some photos and chart their growth here.
-Bob