Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

compact flourescent lamp

Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM

Default compact flourescent lamp

Good day ron! can i use compact flourescent bulb for indoor hydroponics? tnx and Godbless....

Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 AM

Absolutely. Depending on what your growing and what growing conditions are CFLs can sometimes do a better job than HID. If theres something you need to know feel free to PM me with any questions. Peace
Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Default good day!

i am planning to use those commercially available cfl that was being use for house lighting. will it emit much heat than that of HID n metal halide bulb? how many watts will i use for my hydroponic lettuce? pepper n pak choy? tnx for your time and Godbless....
Old 06-23-2009, 05:57 PM

Again as I stated before it depends on a number of factors. First, the number of plants to be grown and second, the size of the space your working with. cfl's do put out a fairly decent amount of heat but not so much that you cant cool them in a cabinet. I currently have 5 X 23 watt CFLs in my cabinet and the temp fluctuates from 79F to 81F. If you would like more info please specify the size of the area you are trying to light as well as the number of plants you will growing. Peace
Old 06-23-2009, 08:56 PM

Default hello

i am planning to build at least 1 meter by 1/2 meter table size. maybe it will contain 16 lettuce plant. i am using a modified system almost same as floating raft. does any system will have effect on the effectivity of CFL?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:14 PM

This system doesnt really have any influence on the effects of the CFL's unless your taking into account the plant spacing. The table your building will have a square footage of about 5.4, I recommend roughly 55 watts per square foot. Your table will require roughly 300 Watts of lighting. Now this is the actual wattage and not the incandescent replacement wattage. I would say your going to need about 7 42 watt CLF's to provide the needed amount of light to grow those 16 plants on your table. Alternatively you can use 12 of the standard 26W CLF's. Hope that helps.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Default prompt reply

tnx for your prompt reply. will those CFL not burn the plants? bec i noticed that 3 CFL emits heat. how high it must be above the plants? do you have pictures of your system so that i will have referrence in building a system. tnx n Godbless...
Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 PM

I dont have any pictures handy but I would be more than happy to assist you with any questions you have. I dont know if your going with a cabinet or just a table in a room. 300 watts of CFL's will produce a fairly good amount of heat but not enough where you cant adequately cool it. I have 300W of CFLs in a cabinet that is 14.5" deep x 29.5" wide x 30" high and cool it with one fan. I keep plants within 6 inches of the bulb. The temperature at the tops of my plants varys only 2 degrees, from 79 - 81 farenheit (sp?) which admitedly is a little bit high but my plants do not complain at all. Feel free to shoot me any questions you have. Peace
Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM

Default hello

i will just use table and put the system on it. i am planning to fix aluminum foil around the table so that the light will be focused on the center and maximize it. tnx for the infos that you've shared. Godbless...
Old 06-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Dont use aluminum foil. It doesnt reflect much light and it also creates hot spots. White paint reflects far more light. The preferred material is mylar. I just paint the inside of my cabinet with flat white paint. Peace
Old 06-24-2009, 04:04 PM

Default aluminum foil

aw! really? also the cost of aluminum foil is a little bit high. im not familiar with mylar. how does it look? is that a wood? just ordinary white paint will do?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:06 PM

yeah ordinary flat white paint does just fine. Just dont use a shiny paint as they absorb more light. You can find mylar on ebay.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Default mylar

i am located here in middle east. ebay don't ships items here or it will cost me a lot. where can i find mylar? in school supplies, hardware, textile shops or where? im sorry i don't really have an idea. tnx!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:34 PM

Default flourescent bulb

how about flourescent bar light? will it work the same as CFL or other HID lights? i saw on this site Grow Lights|hydroponics lighting|high pressure sodium lights a 4 flourescent barlight. is it the same with the one we are using at home?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:45 PM

If you have a local plant nursery that would be a good place to look. Flat white paint reflects 90% of light, mylar reflects 95-100%. Just use regular white paint, its what I use.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 PM

Default thank you!

tnx for your replies. if i cannot find that film, i will just use white paint as you advised. tnx and Godbless....
Old 11-20-2009, 04:13 AM

I'm growing in a 12' x 12' out building in zone 7. I have blocked off all windows. So no natural light. I run my lights 14 hours at night since it's the coldest part of the day. The heat produce helps heat the grow room. The bulbs I'm using are daylight bulbs, labeled at 5000K. Since I'm growing salad greens I don't need much cool lights about 3500K for flowering.

This is my grow bed. Flood and drain.

My nursery for newly germinated plants. short tank with air stone.

Flood and drain bed for adolescent plants.

A CFL daylight 5000K bulb Rated replacement for a 100 watts bulb uses 23watts gives off 1600 lumens and rated to last 10,000 hours. They also cost $6.00-$8.50 a piece.

Since greens need room and have low light requirements the compact florescent work. They allow me to spread the light out over a larger area.

If you noticed I have a few dirt plants that are flowering so i think it shows I have good light balance.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 PM

If you have ever seen camping supplies, they ussually have "Emergency Blankets" they are ussually refletive enough to use just like Mylar, and I think I've seen in some pictures in here someone else uses them also. (the little square folds in the material is a dead give away) their usually a couple dollars each and are pretty good size.
I use 4' T8 bulbs wen sarting my plants, and then I use either my 400Watt Metal Halide, or 600 watt hps depending on needs. I have seen the T8's do perfectly fine for lettuce and greens all by themselves and you can get them very close to the plants, even right on top of them if you have at least a small fan running over your plants.
Lately I've heard more people using the T5 lights, but their still fairly new and the prices on the fixtures and bulbs are a little higher for now.
There are tables on the Hydroponic Lessons on the site that talk about lighting, and needs per square foot etc. check those out.
Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:46 AM

The emergency blankets I got from Target More like $2.85. I have a 400 watt MH track mounted that would give better quality of light. But since my grow room that is an outbuilding I'm limited on power/ voltage, of one 15 amp circuit dedicated to light. So to cover as much area as possible I went 400 watts divided by 23 watts and came up with 17 CFL's with the output of 1600 lumen.

I currently have 29 CFL's 667 watts 46,400 lumen and 12 40 watt florescent tubes 480 watts 30,960 lumen.
total of 1147 watts divided by 110 volts equals 10.42 amps. This covers the 12'x12' grow room. Back to why I'm using the lights to heat the building at night.

I have an other circuit that powers Air pumps, water pumps and timers.

The local store sells Roman $3.00 for 9oz. I can harvest about a pound of mixed lettuce per day. One can get tried of eating a salad every day. Sad part I'm throwing away some. So I'm trying to grow some other cold tolerant plants to balance out the cost.

Fluorescent Lighting Energy Savings and Product Comparisons
Old 11-27-2009, 07:31 PM

What about Swiss Chard? It can be used in place of spinach in recipes, and also it can be dehydrated for future use, unlike lettuce. Also, if you grow broccoli, even if you don't get much flowering, you can dehydrate the leaves, and stock, crush them up and use the powder for Broccoli flavoring in soups etc because they have all the flavor and nutrients as the part you usually eat.