Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

advice needed - sound artist

Old 07-07-2009, 04:48 AM

Default advice needed - sound artist

I am an artist working on a sound installation idea in an Anti-Atomic Shelter in Switzerland.

It will last about 10-15 days, and I want to have a plant or a few plants, specifically strong scented Jasmine, growing in the bunker.

Of course, there is no natural light. I would like to use led grow lamp to give the plant its light, as it is also attractive light to the human eye, and efficient on electricity.

But for that period of time, I guess it would not be a hydroponic system feeding the plant, as it would have to be already flowering for the scent I imagine... a technician could water it and give it nutrient every day.

So, how would I do this - to keep the plant and flower healthy and alive for 15 days in a bunker?

Detailed advice would be very very appreciated thanks

Old 07-07-2009, 10:57 AM

Default bunker grow

use the 2 bulb t-8 flouresent light fixture with 6500k daylight bulbs by phillips (brand)(or equal) leave them on 12-18 hrs a day and the closer to the plant the better the growth will be ,led's are to expensive and do not provide a full enough spectrum to use by themselves,they are great when used in combo with other lights though. i use t-8's to keep donor plants growing and have had some of the same plants for over a year, very electricly efficent . air temp and fresh air exchange are also critical to healthy plants .
my 2 cents worth
Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 AM

thanks !

what about the nutrient and watering for those days under artifical light?

Any more suggestions from anyone?
Old 07-09-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s55 View Post
thanks !

what about the nutrient and watering for those days under artifical light?

Any more suggestions from anyone?
You don't need to use any special nutrient solution for growing plants under lights unless they are in a Hydroponic system. If you are using potting soil that's fine, just water as you would if they were outside.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
You don't need to use any special nutrient solution for growing plants under lights unless they are in a Hydroponic system. If you are using potting soil that's fine, just water as you would if they were outside.

This information is incorrect. Plants need nutrients regardless of the medium. Yes soil does contain nutrients, but depending on pot size and plant size, the plant WILL deplete the soil of nutrients. That being said, if he has the plants he wants growing in soil and in the flower stage he is looking for, the plant SHOULD be just fine on water alone provided its been growing good up until now. Peace
Old 07-24-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1zjd View Post
This information is incorrect. Plants need nutrients regardless of the medium. Yes soil does contain nutrients, but depending on pot size and plant size, the plant WILL deplete the soil of nutrients. That being said, if he has the plants he wants growing in soil and in the flower stage he is looking for, the plant SHOULD be just fine on water alone provided its been growing good up until now. Peace
Well I guess that is a mater of opinion. Many years ago I had a pot plant growing in potting soil in a 5 gallon bucket. I was Growing it under a light designed for hydroponics. I also had 4 of the same plants growing in 5 gallon buckets that were growing in direct sunlight as well. I didn't use anything different for the one under the light than I did for the others, and it did just fine. I watered them all the same and once in a while I would use Miracle Grow along with the water. They all did fine without using any hydroponic nutrients at all.

Hydroponic nutrients are designed to replace the nutrients/elements and trace elements the plant would get from the soil, but when you add hydroponic nutrients to the soil you concentrate the elements. So if you wanted to use hydroponic nutrients in soil I would use them in a very diluted amount. Personally I would use Miracle Grow instead because it is designed for plants that grow in soil. It also doesn't add the trace elements that are already found in soil, so you don't have problems with these trace elements in concentration. Miracle Grow is also much cheaper.

Maybe I am wrong, but as I understood the original question. He was setting up a stage area that was indoors, and wanted the plants to accent the setting. He also wanted to use hydroponic lights so the plants wont wither and die in the 2 weeks that it would be set up. The plants would be in full bloom when he sets it up because he wanted the fragrance of the flowers to perfume the stage area. But was concerned that he would need to use hydroponic nutrients on the plants for those 2 weeks that the plants would be under the lights instead of natural light. If this is true then I would still say that you don't need to do anything different to the soil because of the lights.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 PM

First of all I wasnt trying to start an argument but rather stating facts. There is no such thing as a 'hydroponic light' to my knowledge. People use anything from CLF's to LED's to HID lights to create artificial sunlight. Secondly, I didnt see anything about 'hydroponic nutrients' in his post, nor did I say anything about hydroponic nutrients because obviously they wouldnt be required in a soil grow.

Quote:
You don't need to use any special nutrient solution for growing plants under lights unless they are in a Hydroponic system
Special nutrient solution no but there NEEDS to be nutrients in the medium regardless. Soil doesnt just automatically have the nutrients needed for plants to sustain life. If your using the shitty miracle grow soil then yes they have the nutrients impregnated into the soil. I dont recommend using their products myself because you have no control over the nutrients. I use my own organic soil mixture so I know what nutes are in there. If this plant is in a container full of soil you would get from a bag at your local nursery there more than likely wont be enough nutrients in this soil to sustain proper balance of nutrients through-out a plants life cycle.

Again I was not trying to start an argument just speaking from experience. Your right, more than likely he will not have a problem, but it is COMPLETELY possible to see a deficiency in that 10-15 days that may need to be corrected. I was just saying it so that IF the health of the plants deteriorates in this time he wouldnt be back mad because you told him everything would be fine.

Sorry for causing controversy but there are too many forums with people giving misinformation and too many times Ive seen people give up on growing do to failures from this misinformation. GpsFrontier your doing a good job on here trying to help people out since the owner of the website obviously dont care if people have success or not.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1zjd View Post
First of all I wasnt trying to start an argument but rather stating facts. There is no such thing as a 'hydroponic light' to my knowledge. People use anything from CLF's to LED's to HID lights to create artificial sunlight. Secondly, I didnt see anything about 'hydroponic nutrients' in his post, nor did I say anything about hydroponic nutrients because obviously they wouldnt be required in a soil grow.
When I used the light it was over 10 years ago and I can't remember exactly what type it was. When I say "Hydroponic light" I was referring any type of light that was meant to grow plants, usually in a hydroponic system. I know CFL's weren't designed to grow plants, but I understand they will work for that. Not every LED will grow plants. The little red light on your TV remote is a LED but I hardly think it will grow plants. So when I say hydroponic light I an basically referring to any light that is used to grow plants in general. I am sorry about using the words "special nutrients", I should have used the words hydroponic nutrients. I was sure that is what he was referring to when he was asking about nutrients because this is a hydroponics forum, and would understand what I meant. Sometimes I get tired of typing the same words over and over again and just want to change things up, But I will try to be more clear in the future.

I am not an expert in the nutrient needs of a Jasmine plant, although I do know there are many varieties of them. In California we had a Jasmine bush that lived many years just planted in the ground. If I thought he was asking about the specific nutrient needs of a Jasmine plant (growing in soil or hydroponics) I would have tried to find some information about that specific subject on the internet and left the links to it in my reply. I also may have suggested searching for a forum specifically on Jasmine. So I am sorry to him or anyone else if I misunderstood.

I am not an expert in the subject of hydroponics, I am just a guy that is very interested in the subject and want to learn all that I can about it. I only leave replays in this forum because not many people seem to want to. I can only hope that my time in doing so has helped some people. As for me I would like to have a hydroponics farm growing fruits and Vegetables to sell at the farmers market and to the restaurants and such. But I have a long way to go before I get there.