Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My seeds are sowed!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default My seeds are sowed!

So I finally did it, yesterday purchased what I needed to get started! It was so much fun picking out the seeds. I even made little row tags to remember what I planted. I used an old heating pad (dosen't auto shut off like the new ones) under the seed tray and it kept a constant temp overnight so this morning I planted 72 seeds. My system will have 60 holes so I hope 72 is enough. Somebody should have warned me how small those seeds are! I know it is late to start the seeds, but it has been unusually cold here in the pacific northwest and I haven't even started on my greenhouse yet. Besides I plan to have a year round greenhouse so I guess it dosen't really matter when I start as long as I start. Hoping today to breakground by renting a sod cutter to remove the grass in the area where the greenhouse is planned and move it to an area where the grass needs to be replaced in my backyard. I hope to take picts to document the progress. It is raining again, I think we have doubled our yearly rain fall and it is only June.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2011 010.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1191   Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2011 011.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1192   Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2011 012.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1193  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Congrats on getting them started! Planting seeds is what finally made me move from "analysis paralysis" to actually building something to put them in.

And I hear you about our weather in the NW this year. We recently had those few days of sun, and I swear I could almost see things growing. The nights are warming up a little, but it's still pretty cloudy and cool each day.

Here's hoping to at least two months of sun this summer!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

So a small change in plans.... Last night my daughter, girlfriend and her kids came over for dinner and they brought me their school projects as it was the last day of school. They brought me a small pumpkin and squash plant that they stated from seeds in their classroom. Since the greenhouse hasn't been started yet, I bought the parts for a DWC system and will be setting it up later tonight so the kids can help me. I also bought some cantalope plants that are only a little smaller to go in the bubbler with them. I will post pict later, I am really excited to show the next generation all about hydroponics!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 PM

So the DWC is all done! With the help of a 7 yo and 2 6 yo's it took me a lot longer to build then I thought it would. Boy sure do see what people are saying about rinsing out the clay pellets, it took forever for the water to run clear. The Ph is still a little on the high side, but I'm gonna recheck it in the am. So I planted 4 cantalope and some sort of pumpkin and some sort of squash. The system is outside for now, really don't have anyplace to put it indoors that has enough light and vacation is over today. Next week hoping to get started on the greenhouse (fingers crossed).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hydroponics 001.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 002.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 003.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1197  
Old 06-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Look what I found this morning!

So excited, woke up and went to check the temp and look what I found!!! I did not expect them so soon, I only planted them on the evening of the 8th.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 001.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1198   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 003.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1199  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 PM

What are you using as growing medium for your seeds?