Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Walmart and Kmart have cycle timers

Old 02-12-2009, 04:44 AM

Default Walmart and Kmart have cycle timers

I read here that Walmart and Kmart have cycle timers. How about some more info on what to look for? What department are they in, what do they look like (digital/mechanical)? Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 AM

Wal-Mart's sometimes has the GE 24 hour 15 min. on 15 off timer. Can't find a cycle timer with more than 6 on times a day and that is still not enough.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:10 AM

Default Min number of on off times per 24hr

Ron what do you cosider the min number of on off cycles per ?
don
Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 AM

walgreens sells the 15 off 15 on 24 hours timers
Old 02-22-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenfeather View Post
Ron what do you cosider the min number of on off cycles per ?
don
Ron doesn't post here anymore (hasn't for a year, Last Activity: 02-15-2009 09:57 PM). He was the owner of the website but he sold it quite a while ago.

As for the min on off cycles per day, that would be relative to what plants you were growing as well as the type of system. Also how you built your system, as well as the amount and type of growing medium you are using. The goal is to simply never let the roots become too dry without drowning them, they need both air and oxygen to be healthy plants. Some systems may only need 4 or 5 on/off cycles per day, and others may need 36 or more. An aeroponic system may run 5 min on and 5 min off all day for 18 hours, needing 108 0n/off cycles. Then say during darkness (the other 6 hours), 5 min on every 30 min adding another 12 on/off cycles. For a total of 120 on/off cycles per day. A water culture system wont need a timer at all because it uses a air pump (instead of a water pump) that generally stays on 24/7.

My broccoli plants are on a digital timer with a total of 7 on/off cycles per day (a total of 14 settings). I have it set to let the pump run from 1, to 1 and 1/2 hours on, depending on the time of day with no more than 1 1/2 hours off in-between watering's. They are in 5 gallon buckets with coco chips for growing medium (witch holds moisture well), and are being fed by a drip system. My tomato plants are on another timer that is set for 30 min on/off all 24 hours (for now), I will cut back the night time watering's soon. That timer has 48 settings of 30 min each (24 on/off cycles), my peas are on another smiler timer. The more adjustable the timer the more useful it will be to you for other systems/plants in the future.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 02-22-2010 at 03:10 AM.