Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Question About reservoir temperature

Old 12-30-2014, 01:00 PM

Default Question About reservoir temperature

Hello Say I Hear Temperature of the water is very important so I been looking round for and hydroponic water Thermometer no lock so I brought this and wondering if it will work ? Brinkmann Digital Thermometer with stainless-steel probe Measures Fahrenheit or Celsius with hold function I got it at home depot for $10 bucks I Just Need To Know If This Okay Or if I need to find something else thank you
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brinkmann Digital Thermometer with stainless-steel probe.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	2757

Old 12-31-2014, 03:22 PM

Default thermometer

it will work, but it will not address the problem of adjusting the temp of the water. I have a water heater (fish tank) that heats the water to 70. In the summer I have a water chiller to start cooling the water when it reaches 74, and it has a built in thermometer in the unit that is displayed.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Default right

Any Fish Tank section (even Walmart) would have good drop in thermometers for 3-10$. Finewood, I was interested in temperature control as well and had a spare 1/3 HP Chiller laying around lol. My problem is I have multiple reserviors so I built a heat exchange out of thin-walled plastic irrigation line forming coils and running through each chamber via bulkheads. The jury's still out...

FYI: I would suspect going as far as adding chillers is a less common but preferable thing.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM

Default chillers

Or you connect all the reservoirs using large diameter hoses and in the last one you pump the water to the chiller that deposits the water in the first reservoir.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:47 PM

Okay 1st that's kool I can use that to monitor temp, winter time be more of issue here for me I was thinking on insulating my black hydroponic buckets summertime here in Cleveland ohio usually don't get hot my main problem is the humidity woke up this morning my humidity was 16%.. see im trying to make sure I have best possible environment before I start my seeds
Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finewoodstudio View Post
Or you connect all the reservoirs using large diameter hoses...
I keep my reservoirs at different ppm's. I'll post my set up on here soon.

Bigdaddy, I don't know what you mean with the humidity. I'm beginning too, but as far as I know everybody starts their seeds in some sort of contained plastic tray- with a clear top to let in light (a lot of plants need light to trigger germination)

I even started some Cilantro recently in a zip lock bag in rockwool cubes. Anything that holds in the humidity creates a fog type deal- tuppawear, taco bell salad bowl container, etc. Also I started all mine indoors where it's warm (70's).
Old 12-31-2014, 09:40 PM

what I mean is I started hydroponics back in February 2014 and I had a lot of issues improper humidity and lighting and feeding it was so bad I got mold and fungus so right now im gathering information so I wont screw up again
Old 01-03-2015, 06:50 PM

There isn't a specific type of thermometer used for hydroponics. Digital thermometer can get expensive, though $10 isn't bad at all for a digital one. Though just like with anything electronic it may eventually give false readings. I personally just use a small standard glass fish tank thermometer I got at wal-mart for $1.97. I just tie string around the suction cup and toss it in the reservoir for a couple minutes to check temp.

16% humidity?? Wow, that's extremely low. My weather station won't even register anything below 20%. Like daytonajim00 mentioned most people start seeds in some kind of seed tray with a clear plastic cover. The plastic cover holds in the humidity. As the water evaporates inside, it creates humidity, and the lid holds it in. So regardless of what the outside humidity is, inside the tray stays around 80% to 90% humidity. But you can use just about any covered container. As long as the top lets the light in. Though you should open it up once in a while so the plants can get fresh oxygen from time to time.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:07 PM

Thanks For The Reply I Scoot Down To Pet Store Grab Glass Thermometer
This Way I Will Have 2 Ways To Check Reservoir Temps

As For Humidity I Know It Has To Be 70 to 80% in seed Tray One I Have Has Vents Also I Put And PC Fan On One Side and keep other side slightly open ...

but yeah house humidity was 16% .. I Know For Plants It Need To Be 40% to 60% .. my thing is which would be better a cool mist or warm mist humidifier to help keep humidity between 40 & 50% ?
Old 01-03-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
my thing is which would be better a cool mist or warm mist humidifier
What's the normal air temp in the room? If the air temp is on the high side, than cool. If the air temp is on the low side, than warm. However I'm not sure that they make humidifiers that put out cool mist because cool water (humidity) condenses quickly (dryer air output). 40% to 50% humidity is much better than 16%, but 70% to 80% is much closer to optimum greenhouse conditions.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:49 PM

well normal temp is up and down example today indoor 70 F and humidity 30%
Old 01-03-2015, 09:25 PM

I have been thinking about it, and I could be wrong, but something doesn't make scene to me. I think either your humidity senor is off, or your not reading it correctly. Because Like I said 16% is extremely low. I live in the desert and our humidity is higher than that during this time of year. You said you were in Cleveland Ohio, so I checked the weather there, and it says currently you were at 86%. Now there will be differences between inside and outside humidity levels, but nothing even close to a 70% difference. Not withough't running Dehumidifiers constantly...

Intellicast Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-03-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:32 PM

maybe I did read it wrong -- (Indoors) right now it says 30% Humid & 81f indoors outdoors its raining

This All Current For Euclid Ohio 44132 (Suburb of Cleveland)
Current 50f
Precipitation 100%
Humidity 96%
Wind 9mph
Old 01-03-2015, 10:01 PM

It's normal to have outside humidity in the 80's or 90's when it's raining, even afterword. Typical for your area I would expect around 50-60% humidity normally on a nice day. 20% difference between inside and outside would probably be normal. But beyond 30% difference I would say something in your home is acting as a dehumidifier, HVAC system etc. or your humidity sensor/s are off. Especially when you say when you got up today your humidity was 16%. That's just too much of a difference to make scene naturally. There is no way your humidity should be that low in your area. That level is equivalent to the desert (where I live) during the hot dry July and August months. Even at 30% indoors now, that's about a 50-60% difference between inside and outside. Why is there such a drastic difference??

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-03-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:14 PM

Good Question check this out here layout of my apartment
Click image for larger version

Name:	layout.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2760

Don't know what could be causing the reading maybe sensor bad like u said
I but and different kind meter to see if this one bad

also my AC/HEATER unit is up on wall and I also
have baseboard heat which aint worth a crap and
also my patio facing towards lake I get a lot wind and cold
air that hit my unit directly

Last edited by Bigdaddy216; 01-03-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:15 AM

Here's A Look @ Both Gauges reading 16% or less Humidity I Knew I Wasn't Seeing Things lol Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 158.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	2761
Old 01-07-2015, 04:06 PM

What do the same meters say the outside humidity is?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
What do the same meters say the outside humidity is?
I Have No Outside Temp/Humidity Gauge...

All I know is this right now outside is
Humidity: 70% Pressure: 30.41 in Dew Point: 3° F
Temp 14
Old 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM

I'm confused on two points. First you said you Have No Outside Temp/Humidity Gauge, but you also state a Humidity of 70%. How do you come to that conclusion? Second, again you said you Have No Outside Temp/Humidity Gauge, but why cant you place the ones that are inside, outside for a while?
Old 01-07-2015, 04:59 PM

no1 I went here got information Weather | fox8.com that for m city give me everything I need to know about outside that's where I got that info

no2 I didn't think Gauges I have could be used outdoors

one thing clear like you said something is sucking humidity out of here