Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

BPA Free Water Jugs

Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 PM

Default BPA Free Water Jugs

This might be kind of a silly question to ask but for the people that aren't using the RO systems installed in there house are you using BPA free jugs to collect water from the RO system at the grocery store? I want to get a 5 gallon jug from the store to keep the water in for my hydroponics system but I am worrying if I keep the water in there to long it will start to leach. However after looking online these BPA free 5 gallon jugs cost $30. Just curious what you guys think.

Thanks

Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer but more questions. I'm assuming RO is reverse osmosis, do you check PH of your RO water before you add it to your reservoir? Do you check again when it is mixed with nutrients in your reservoir? just wondering because the nutrients I use have enough acid that they lower my PH. MY tap water is crazy high alkaline, over 9.0 PH, when I add enough nutrients it lowers my reservoir PH enough to acceptable hydroponic ranges. I try to use my A/C condensation water as much as possible but along with my nutrients, my PH gets in low 5 range and I have to add some tap water to raise PH. I have NFT system and only add water every other day when tankndrops below about 50 gallons.