Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Can you water-stress hydroponic plants?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:22 PM

Default Can you water-stress hydroponic plants?

I was experimenting with water-stressing my tomato plants because few of the flowers were setting fruit. So just for fun I added no water or nutrients to either of my 2 tubs for a month. Result? The plants took up every drop of water leaving nothing behind, not even any mineral matter. I have hard water, too - 50-100ppm. Those roots licked the tubs clean. Had that water just been allowed to evaporate, there would have been major calcification.

The first photo shows the top of one tub just after I cut back all the plants. The second photo shows the root systems. The roots are healthy and squeaky clean. The plants were only just beginning to show signs of nutrient deficiency.

I think this is amazing and wonder if this means that the plants took up absolutely everything, whether it was useful or not. And I wonder in what part of the plant the non-nutrient compounds and minerals are incorporated.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0377.jpg
Views:	844
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	2723  
Old 10-17-2014, 07:37 AM

well, this is really innovative experiment..your plants are so intelligent.. i have not tried it. but sounds interesting..
online pokies for real money

Last edited by rebeccamcAfee; 10-18-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:37 PM

You can water stress plants with ice cold water and hot water, they get confused when in stress and go into like survival mode, some Dutch cannabis growers for the medical industry do this technique on purple coloured plants ( purple haze ) to make it look more purple. ?
And some breeders do the same to hermaphrodite females to stress into males for the seeds? .......something like that anyway.lol.....
Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM

Very interesting. Thanks.