Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

New fodder system for less then $10

Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default New fodder system for less then $10

So I have been playing around with sprouting for my chickens and turkeys. I have watched hours of Youtube videos and spent hours researching. I finally came up with a cheap easy method to raise fodder biscuits just the right size for my flock. I have not yet added a timer and pump but that is in the works but for now I just add water 3 times a day. I purchased 8 baskets at the dollar store and a tin pan to catch the water. I drilled holes on only one end of the baskets. I added cups to the tin pan and added two more stacked on top of one end to create a slope. Next I poked skewer sticks thru the holds to create a alternating slope down each level. I tested the system and it works perfect. I put in the seeds I already had soaking and started another batch tonight. Hopefully in 7 days they will be eating it!
The last picture is how I have been sprouting the pasture mix, just in odd shaped containers I could find. The chicks and turks eat all of it and come running when I go out with it. The data says it takes 1 pound of 30% digestable grain and turns it into 6 to 8 pounds of 80 to 90% digestable fodder with is enriched with more nutrients then unsprouted grain. So my 50 pound bag of grain should turn into at minumin 300 pounds of fodder. I will post more photos as the system fills up and when I feed it.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 001.jpg
Views:	1563
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	2516   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 002.jpg
Views:	1490
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	2517   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 004.jpg
Views:	1603
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2518  
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 AM

Hello fintuckyfarms,
I think that's a great simple folder system. I have seen similar systems on YouTube, but I have yet to try it myself. I have researched fodder systems as well, and although I don't remember the exact specifics right now. What I do remember is very similar to your figures. Something like a 50 bag of grain turns into 5-10 times that weight in feed when you sprout it. And as you stated, is much more healthy for the animals because of the vitamins and minerals in the foliage compared to just feeding them grain. Even your animals appropriate/prefer the sprouts. Bottom line, why wouldn't anyone be interested in taking a 50 lbs of feed, and turning it into five times that or more. It makes no sense not to in my opinion.

I know you live in a farming community and I think it would be a great idea if you were able to also exhibit a fodder system at the fair this year. Including showing the benefits of fodder over feeding just grain. I think that would be a big hit in your area. Though I also think it would be equally important to explain the need to control bacteria and fungi that can easily grow in folder systems that could be harmful to the animals. Not to discourage people from trying it, but just to make them aware of the importance and how to control it so they can be successful doing it.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I was thinking along those same lines...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:18 PM

It's growing... so far no mold but I will soon be switching to a flood and drain auto system. Watering 4 times a day is getting old fast but it's totally worth it to have fresh clean greens to feed my birds. I have been training them to eat the greens with smaller batches of a pasture mix with clover and several grasses. They come running when I go out with it. I am going thru with my plans to build the greenhouse and I think I might build a huge system and sell fodder to local farmers. There are many small hobby farmers in my area with everything from chickens and rabbits to cows and horses and hay is really expensive in my area even tho we grow it here. Most gets shipped over seas. Anyway just a thought for now.... The experiment continues
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1013 seedlings 001.jpg
Views:	1417
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	2520   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 002.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	2521   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 003.jpg
Views:	1401
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	2522  
Old 05-31-2013, 03:36 AM

So far the only problem with the system is that I have to hand water it...
Can't wait to redo it into a flood and drain type system. Anybody have an idea how to clean the starch out of the water?
I have not had any problem with mold and I have not used anything in the water or as a pre-soak, no bleech, vinager or hydrogen peroxide.
I think I was putting too much seed into the system and have cut down about 1/2 cup of so per batch. I would like to find some barley and I am still looking fo a resource for it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1013 seedlings 012.jpg
Views:	1558
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	2524   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 010.jpg
Views:	1405
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2525   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 009.jpg
Views:	1545
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	2526   Click image for larger version

Name:	1013 seedlings 005.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2527  
Old 05-31-2013, 05:51 AM

With seeds/sprouts there is really no need to use nutrients. So do it as a drain to waist system rather than a recirculating system. With short timed cycles and a "small" pump (very small fountain or aquarium pump), you wont use or need much water anyway. If you get the timing right and use a small enough pump, you probably wont need to run more than a cup or two of water through it on each cycle. You probably wouldn't need more a couple of 5 gallon buckets. Then just pump the water from one with fresh water in it, through the system and let it drain into the other 5 gal bucket. You can always reduce the flow rate from the pump if it still pumps too much water depending on your minimum timer settings. That would be much easier and less expensive than getting a cycle timer to run real short cycles.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-31-2013 at 05:58 AM.