Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Grouping: What Plants Can Run Off The Same Nutrients?

Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 PM

Default Grouping: What Plants Can Run Off The Same Nutrients?

Hey guys, newbie question.

As I understand it, certain vegetables can run off the same nutrient solutions, and some can't.

Does anyone have a simple or other type of list of what can grow in the same ebb and flow system together, example:

Tomatoes can grow in the same system (and nutrient) as squash? cucumbers? bell peppers? etc?

My apology for the novice question, just trying to segregate system plans ahead of time.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:06 PM

I don't think it's Novice at all. I'm excited to see what all the answer's are.
Old 09-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Well there are no charts that explain what can be grown together and what can't, that I have ever seen (reliable ones anyway). But you can bet if there was, there would be people pushing the envelope (me included) to do the so called imposable (just because, or out of necessity). Realistically you can grow anything with other plants in hydro (or soil). But it simply depends on what you expect of the results that makes the difference. If you want all your plants to be perfect, then only grow one crop in the same system/nutrient solution at a time (assuming it's a recirculating system as mentioned). But if you aren't concerned so much with all perfect plants (like most people who don't sell the product), then you don't need to worry so much about it.

Though you would definitely have better results if the plants you grow in the same system have similar requirements. Like pH, nutrient strength, nutrient composition. I mean even if the nutrient strength was the same, growing lettuce and strawberry in the same system still could be done. But you'll want to focus on witch was most important. Simply because the nutrient composition could only be focused for one or the other (pH aside). Strawberry's are a continuously fruiting plant, and even though lettuce grows flower and grow seeds, that isn't desirable to eat. So you would need to decide if the nutrient solution was focused on the flowering strawberry's, or the non-flowering lettuce. But it's not like one or the other will die.

The goal is to grow plants with similar requirements in the same system for the best results when growing multiple crops in the same system/nutrient solution. Taking into consideration the recommended pH levels, nutrient strength, as well as weather they will be producing fruit at the same time or not. Even if they will all be maturing at the same time, and the best temp and humidity requirements too. Peppers grow better in warmer temps, while lettuce grows best in cool temps. If they are in the same system chances are they will be subjected to the same growing environment (unless you build/construct it otherwise).

Just about any plant/s can be grown in the same system if it's designed for them. Then it's just about compromise, deciding which is the primary crop, and compromising for the others. Here's a link that can help deciding which plants will make a good match with regards to recommended nutrient strength and pH levels. ph/ TDS/PPM Levels for Vegetables

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-01-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:25 PM

Roger, thank you GPS.