Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My seeds are sowed!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default My seeds are sowed!

So I finally did it, yesterday purchased what I needed to get started! It was so much fun picking out the seeds. I even made little row tags to remember what I planted. I used an old heating pad (dosen't auto shut off like the new ones) under the seed tray and it kept a constant temp overnight so this morning I planted 72 seeds. My system will have 60 holes so I hope 72 is enough. Somebody should have warned me how small those seeds are! I know it is late to start the seeds, but it has been unusually cold here in the pacific northwest and I haven't even started on my greenhouse yet. Besides I plan to have a year round greenhouse so I guess it dosen't really matter when I start as long as I start. Hoping today to breakground by renting a sod cutter to remove the grass in the area where the greenhouse is planned and move it to an area where the grass needs to be replaced in my backyard. I hope to take picts to document the progress. It is raining again, I think we have doubled our yearly rain fall and it is only June.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2011 010.jpg
Views:	896
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1191   Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2011 011.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	1192   Click image for larger version

Name:	summer 2011 012.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1193  
Old 06-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Congrats on getting them started! Planting seeds is what finally made me move from "analysis paralysis" to actually building something to put them in.

And I hear you about our weather in the NW this year. We recently had those few days of sun, and I swear I could almost see things growing. The nights are warming up a little, but it's still pretty cloudy and cool each day.

Here's hoping to at least two months of sun this summer!
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

So a small change in plans.... Last night my daughter, girlfriend and her kids came over for dinner and they brought me their school projects as it was the last day of school. They brought me a small pumpkin and squash plant that they stated from seeds in their classroom. Since the greenhouse hasn't been started yet, I bought the parts for a DWC system and will be setting it up later tonight so the kids can help me. I also bought some cantalope plants that are only a little smaller to go in the bubbler with them. I will post pict later, I am really excited to show the next generation all about hydroponics!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 PM

So the DWC is all done! With the help of a 7 yo and 2 6 yo's it took me a lot longer to build then I thought it would. Boy sure do see what people are saying about rinsing out the clay pellets, it took forever for the water to run clear. The Ph is still a little on the high side, but I'm gonna recheck it in the am. So I planted 4 cantalope and some sort of pumpkin and some sort of squash. The system is outside for now, really don't have anyplace to put it indoors that has enough light and vacation is over today. Next week hoping to get started on the greenhouse (fingers crossed).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hydroponics 001.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1194   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 002.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	1195   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 003.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1196   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	1197  
Old 06-11-2011, 11:56 AM

Default Look what I found this morning!

So excited, woke up and went to check the temp and look what I found!!! I did not expect them so soon, I only planted them on the evening of the 8th.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 001.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1198   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 003.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1199  
Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 PM

What are you using as growing medium for your seeds?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
What are you using as growing medium for your seeds?
The rapid rooter? cubes (100 for $24.99 at our 1 and only local store)

And it was actually AM not PM they were planted, but still on the 8th.

************************* edit ***************************

So I'm an idiot........ Cleaning up this am I actually looked at the bag and the cubes are actually called root riot. Sorry if I confused some of you out there, you really should have called me on it so I checked it out sooner.

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-13-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:26 AM

Woke up this am and now there are 20 seedlings, mostly lettuce and tomato's. Sooooo excited!!! Tomorrow is my day off and I'm gonna have to get them some more light than is just coming thru the window as they are starting to reach for it. The outside plants are doing well also, one was wilted when I came home last night and then I remembered I need to water them for a few days till their roots reach the water. It came back and was fine this am, they all look really strong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hydroponics 003.jpg
Views:	788
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1200   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1201  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-12-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM

This am woke up and found 27 seedlings that included 2 snow peas and 2 mini carrots.

If you didn't see my edit above, I was wrong and the cubes are called root riot. Sorry for the missinformation, I will try to be more accurate in the future (spelling not included )

So are they starting to look leggy or are they suppose to look like this? I am getting a light on them today. Was given 4 T-8 lights from my mom's kitchen remodel that I have to rewire to be plugged in. From what I have read, they should be ok for the seedling and grow stage.

The outside plants in the DWC are doing really well. Had my husband water them while I was at work yesterday and they look really strong; never really saw them go into any kind of shock even though 3 kids helped me "plant" them and wash off all the dirt. Today is suppose to be really windy 40+ mph and I'm kind of worried about them since they can't have a very stong grip on the clay pellets yet. When I go into town today, I am going to pick up some more air stones as I have 4 outlets and the more air the better right?

Have a happy Monday to all of you headed to work, it is my Saturday
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	764
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1202   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 002.jpg
Views:	750
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1203   Click image for larger version

Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1204  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-13-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Hello fintuckyfarms,
Thanks for clarifying the info about the starter cubes. I hadn't seen the edit. I also had no reason to question it ether. I haven't used the rapid rooters, or the root riot, but I would guess they are both pretty close to the same thing. I know the rapid rooters are supposed to be made from organic material as well, and the price for both is just about identical. It looks like the root riot cubes are working well for you so far. Though at about a quarter for each cube, a bit too expensive for me to really consider using on a large scale.

The seedlings get leggy if they don't get enough light. The 4 T8's should do the job, just keep them as close to the plants as you can. But if your not able to get the lights wired today, you may try putting the seedlings outside in the sunlight until you can get the lights running (unless it's too cold or hot outside). They tend to dry out faster outside, but the clear dome lid should keep the humidity in, and the cubes moist.

Hopefully your plants wont blow away in the wind. We get heavy winds from time to time also, and it can sometimes cause a real problem. I tend to use rocks, sometimes in a pillowcase to weigh things down, or anchor wind breaks to block as much of the wind as I can. Yes, the more air to the roots the better, so making use of the 3 extra air outlet ports is a very good idea. My only concerns with that system are that I cant tell if it's light proof, and if not you will likely get algae growth. Also cantaloupe, pumpkin, and squash are all large vines. Even if you trellis them (and the heavy fruit), the size of the plants will likely make maintenance difficult.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello fintuckyfarms,
My only concerns with that system are that I cant tell if it's light proof, and if not you will likely get algae growth. Also cantaloupe, pumpkin, and squash are all large vines. Even if you trellis them (and the heavy fruit), the size of the plants will likely make maintenance difficult.
Thank you so much for your information!
Yes the container is light proof, it is a very thick green rubbermaid and no light shows thru it. I picked it out especially keeping in mind all that I learned from this forum. As for the size of the plants, I havent really decided if that will be their permanent home or just their "right now" home till I figure something else out. Kind of been floating around an idea of using an old stocktank I have and making it an ebb and flow system with a 8 foot length of ridgid hog fence on one side for them to crawl up. I already have all this except the pump so it would mostly just be labor on my part.

I did manage to finish the light last night. It was harder then I thought it was going to be and I learned lots for "next time". I basically followed a design I found on the web (youtube I think) and made it out of mostly recycled parts I had laying arround. My mom gave me the light fixtures from her kitchen remodel, I did buy the concrete form for less then $10, used some scrap wood, some spray adhesive, a rescue blanket (97 cents). I did have to buy the new cord so I could plug it in; less then $10 and used some screws I had. TADA it's done with some help from my son. Now I just have to figure out how to hang it up My only concern is that the reflective part is wrinkled and I hope that does not adversely affect the eficiency of it. Next time i will overlap 3 strips of it so I have better control of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hydroponics 010.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 012.jpg
Views:	729
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	1206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 014.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 015.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 017.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	1209  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-16-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM

So here is the finished product. Again not a permanet home, just trying to get the little guys some light as the HVAC guy comes today to replace my heatpump and I wont have much time to fiddle with it. Eventually it will hang over a bench in the greenhouse but until then I will have to find a better place in the home that is out of the way and not on my new wood floors. I know it is not "ideal" and the light is probably too far way, but it is the best I can do today. I am surprised at how much light it puts out. Way more than what is coming in from both the south and the west windows.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 018.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1210   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 019.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	1211  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-14-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM

So after only about 20 minutes most of the little guys were standing straight up, but I still think that the light is too far away, so I removed the hood and put the light much closer. There are about 30 of the 72 seeds sprouted so far but I do see more green in the holes. I find it interesting that the plants on the premiter came up first, maybe the heat is too high even on low or maybe the ones in the middle just have a longer germination time. I think the tomato's got pretty leggy, but I hope that getting the light on them will help. I did read somewhere that a fan on them will help make thick strong stalks; might try that also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 020.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1212   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 021.jpg
Views:	752
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	1213  
Old 06-14-2011, 09:21 PM

So here is one for the strange and bazar.... I removed the seedling try to see the level of water in the reservoir and look what I found!!
I think it is a carrot seedling. I just grabbed a toothpick and made a very large hole and gently put the root part down into the root riot. Look how the stem is corkscrewed.. Don't know that it will make it, but I gave it a try.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 022.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1214   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 023.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1215  
Old 06-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Anybody have any idea what kind of plant this is? It is suppose to be a squash or a pumpkin. The outside system is doing really well, the PH is still pretty high and I'm going to go into town and get some PH down. Don't know why I didn't grab it the last time I was there. I did find out that my inside filtered system is 6.0 but it takes all day to get 8 or 9 gallons out of it for a nute change. The inside guys are doing well also, had some more sprout up but then I removed the heating pad as none of the ones in the center have sprouted. The temp is still btwn 68 and 70 without the heating pad so we will see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1216   Click image for larger version

Views:	724
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1217  
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 PM

Hello fintuckyfarms,
Pumpkin is a squash, and as far as I can tell all squash plants look basically the same until they fruit. But it looks like they have a whole bunch of flowers on them. The pH of your household water supply can change daily, so even though it's 6.0 today, dosen't mean it will be tomorrow or next week etc.. It is possible to cook your seeds with a heating pad if your unable to control temp. I used heating pad to sprout seeds set on low, with a timer set for 30 on, and 30 off. But even so the temp could get into the upper 90's if I wasn't careful.

P.S.
If you don't already have some, you will want some pH up as well. Even if your water pH is never low, there will be times you use too much pH down, and need to get it back up again. Especially in the beginning when your just learning how much pH adjuster to use to get your pH in the right range.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks again for the words of wisdom
I have well water that goes thru a softner in the pumphouse then indoors it again goes thru another filter system. It seems to stay at 6.0 for PH everytime I test it; maybe luck but it is only on the kitchen sink.

I probably "cooked" the seeds in the center. I will wait another week and replant if they do not sprout. Lesson learned and I expect to kill of a few more before I'm done. I guess I live by the moto "nothing messed up, nothing learned". I think I have an old waterbed heater that has a thermostat on it that may be more controlable. If not I will probably splurge and by the heating pad my local store sells. The timer is an excellent idea, not only for the heater but also the lights the seeds are under. I might go to walmart on my next day off and pick up a couple, I think they were only a couple of dollars each.

I am also going to contact our master gardner thru the local extension office and see if he knows of anybody else playing with hydroponics in the area. I think it will be fun to compare stuff and see what people in my area are doing for heat/cold control, etc

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-16-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 PM

So I finally was able to get some PH down today. The store was sold out and not expecting any till Wednesday, but they kept one bottle and gave out small amounts to their customers till it comes in. So I was able to lower the PH on the outside plants today. Waiting to see some results as the PH was about 7.6 and I lowered it to 6.4. Will test it again tomorrow am before work and see where it lands. I see some leaf curling on the plants and I hope lowering the PH will help. I still have no clue what the plant is that is flowering. I've looked at several plants on-line and I just don't see anything like what I have.

The inside plants are doing great! A few more have sprouted and the light is keeping the new ones from getting leggy. Yea some success!!! But they are not gonna wait till the greenhouse is built before they need to get into their next home. May just have to build it in the backyard and move it when the greenhouse is built.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	749
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	1218   Click image for larger version

Views:	782
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1219   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 006.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1220   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 005.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1221   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 007.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1222  

Old 06-18-2011, 11:57 AM

So the PH was still a little high this am, added some more PH down and now it is reading 6.2. I think that because I am only using the grow part and not all 3 parts is why I'm having this issue. I'm only using it till the floramato comes in as it is backordered in my area.

I really do not think this is any type of squash plant as the flowers are white and not yellow. The flowers are very small and the leaf shape is different too. I'm gonna keep looking today on the internet. It must be something that likes a higher PH, because it has been thriving with a upper 7 PH. I think maybe a pepper, what do ya all think?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	739
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1223   Click image for larger version

Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1224   Click image for larger version

Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1225  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-18-2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 05:11 AM

Now that I take a closer look at the leaves they look like green beans.