Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

2012 window garden

Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default 2012 window garden

Started a few seeds today for a south facing window garden. Been researching online and there are two different systems that I like. One is just a floating raft bubbler in a window planter. The other one is a version of the windowfarms bottle garden. Might try both gonna start with some herbs (new for me) and some spinage. Started the seeds in a paper towel tube cut into inch and half sections filled with pollyfill. Forgot how tiny those damm seeds are!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

So none of the seeds have sprouted in the pollyfill. May be that it's too cold or not moist enough, IDK. Gonna start some more in some paper towels with a little heat.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:06 AM

Is that Polyfill similar to the Sure to Grow cubes?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:30 AM

Pollyfill is the fluffy stuff that goes in pillows or stuffed animals. Saw a post about it either here or on another site about starting seeds in it in place of other seeding mediums. Sounded good, but I didn't get it to work. I am going to try it again when it gets warmer.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

Most seeds don't like to sprout unless the temp is about 80 degrees F. Though spinach I understand likes it much cooler, and will even sprout in the refrigerator. Though it can be hard to get spinach seeds to sprout at all, most people I've herd try get a very low germination rate if they sprout at all. I have tried both at warm temps, and cool temps, but never got any seeds to sprout. However I think the seeds were from a old pack.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 PM

Started some more seeds today! I found a window sill starter kit that came with a dome. I started the seeds in some perlite in the south facing window. Gets the most heat in the house thru that window so i'm gonna try it without the heat mat. There has been sun for the last 2 days and the weather looks like its gonna be clear for the next few also. That should keep them warm enough to sprout. Crossing my fingers
Old 02-18-2012, 06:56 PM

Added some heat on the 16th since the sun when away. Hopefully I will start to see some green soon!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:23 PM

Soooo excited today! Came home after a long *** 12 hr shift and checked on the seedlings for my window farm and found 3 new babies. The blurry one is a baby spinach and I think the other 2 are rosemary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3550.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	2054   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3549.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2055   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3548.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2056  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 02-19-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM

Had some more seeds sprout after I remove the hood, I think that it was too wet and some of the seedlings died. I now have several chives and some thyme that have sprouted. Starting seeds is my favorite part but also the most frustrating.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ovendoctor
Default seed starts

been starting herbs in rock wool cubes
just sprinkle the seed on the rock wool,wet it and place it in front of a heat register,,3-7 days later we have sprouts
right now we have tarragon,oregano, Basel, cilantro,dill,thyme
50 tomatoes 2'' tall
98 pepper seed's
98 tomato seeds
also been ordering from baker creek seed co.
and am very happy with the seeds received
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds - 1400 heirloom garden seeds!

yup a busy year ahead

Doc.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Missed work today due the worst migrane ever.... but when I woke up from my Rx coma I found new babbies!!!! I purchased some 2" pots from the new store to start my window garden (just a small bubbler in a window planter) and all I need now is some stryofoam. I also started some more spinach seeds in a paper towel inside a siplock baggie, cant wait to see if it works cuz that is what I really want is some fresh spinach. So do people start spinach clones? I mean since they are so hard to start from seed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	window farm 004.jpg
Views:	1071
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	2059   Click image for larger version

Name:	window farm 023.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2060   Click image for larger version

Name:	window farm 024.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2061   Click image for larger version

Name:	window farm 027.jpg
Views:	952
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2062   Click image for larger version

Name:	window farm 033.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2063  

Name:	window farm 031.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	2064  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 03-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to ovendoctor

here's some tarragon that was planted in quart 1/2&1/2 bottles
using rockwool cubes

and some fresh cut Basel

Doc.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:48 PM

Wow, looks good. Can't wait to get the the harvest'n.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:14 AM

So I think my herbs are big enough to go to their next home. I have the system built except a small hole for the air tube. So if the weather is too nasty to work on the strawberry towers I'm gonna transfer the herbs into their new bubbler system. I'm at work now, but will post picts later. Basically I just picked up a plastic window planter from Fred Meyers (hubby gets a discount there). There were indents where you could pop some holes in the bottom if you were planting soil, but I left them intact and made sure they did not leak. I cut a piece of foam with the shinny stuff on one side to fit and cut about 16 2" holes to fit my net pots. (drilled my finger just a tiny bit ) I'm gonna fill them with some perlite and add my plants. LIke I said, I still need to drill a small hole on the side for the air tube, but I think I can get the whole thing done in about 15 minutes. I will have to rotate the whole thing every few days or the plants will deffinately list to the window side. Next I'm gonna build a mini tower for some spinach and hang it from a shower curtin rod that will fit snugly into the window frame. It will be a recirculating drip system. I have room for maybe 6. I want to try the pipe instead of the water bottle design I have seen on the web.