Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

'fridges for chillers

Old 05-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Default 'fridges for chillers

Has anyone tried using an old refridgerator as a chiller? Maybe putting coils of tubing inside to cool a nutrient solution? I live in S E Florida and it's really hot in summer. I intend to use Rons 11 plant hydro setup.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 AM

I'd be really interested to see this work. I was lucky enough to find a used chiller on craigslist but who know how long it will last. Used refrigerators aren't that hard to come across.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:44 PM

<Disclaimer> I'm no expert. </Disclaimer> I bet it would work better than you can imagine. I'm just wondering how you would control the temperature, seeing as most fridges work around 30-45 or so degrees and each day will be different. having original been from Florida i THINK it may be easier to do as GPSFrontier did and place you nutrient reservoir in the ground. I know my plans for the summer if it get warm enough to be a problem will be to use some 2 liter bottles frozen full of water just put into the solution bath as reusable ice cubes.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:28 PM

Just use something like this, when I made beer I had something like this to control lager temps.

http://www.amazon.com/Ranco-ETC-2110.../dp/B000LDE41C

Last edited by ohman11; 05-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:12 PM

I think one solution is to get a used small unit like in motels. Adjusting and controlling nutrient temps can be done by altering the length of tubing inside the fridge. More tubing, cooler temp, and vice versa. A certain amount of fiddling around needed to get the temp right, maybe making in-out holes in the fridge,etc. I got a unit at a yard sale for $30. At this price, I can buy one a year if I have to. Hope I don't have to. Conservation of funds is necessary
for me.Please, keep your suggestions and comments coming.Encouragement matters!