Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Sun Light question

Old 01-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Sun Light question

Hi Everyone, Simon the New person here.

I am starting off small, and boy it is hard...I I'm reading a lot and even took a visit to Epcot

1 Quick question for now: I see lots of out door systems that are not in direct sunlight, they have a roof over them of some kind but all seems to look well. Do i need to put my systems in the direct light or can I do the same as what I am seeing....Or are they taking them out in the sun some how for a bit of time? I am growing lettuce, tomato's,Herbs, Broccoli right now.

Thank you everyone and Thanks for this forum!

Old 01-27-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
Hi Everyone, Simon the New person here.

Or are they taking them out in the sun some how for a bit of time? I am growing lettuce, tomato's,Herbs, Broccoli right now.

Thank you everyone and Thanks for this forum!
Hello Simon,

The amount of sunlight needed is determined by the plant. Lettuce and small herbs will do better in slightly shaded area. Some salad greens can grow to tall and basically start to flower. Its not exactly what you want to eat.

Broccoli and Tomatoes should be able to use maximum sunlight as long as your not in a tropical area.

A good way to figure out how well your plants will do is to look up the specific strain/species to find out its ideal growing conditions. Compare those ideal conditions with your local conditions and figure out what you need to do to fix the imbalances.

If you need help fixing one of the other imbalances, post it up!
Old 01-28-2011, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info. FYI: I do live on the east coast of Florida/Sub-Tropics so the Sun can and does get hot. I am building my systems on a back porch and thinking of maybe getting some grow lights as well to supplement for any needed Sun Light. It just gets way to hot out in the open and I need to watch water temps as well. I really want to try to use as much natural Light as I can.