Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

••potassium silicate••

View Poll Results: would use this product? potassium silicate?
YES 1 100.00%
NO 0 0%
NOT SURE I'LL HAVE TO READ THE REPLYS FIRST 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-26-2014, 01:21 PM

Default ••potassium silicate••

Hello everyone

Im just wondering if anyone could fill me in on "potassium silicate".?

And the roll it plays on benefiting flowering plants.

I have a rough idea i.e. potassium (K) is good for the flowering stage and all round health. And silica is good for helping with no stress or disease << not quite sure about that .

That's all i know , i have a basic understanding of nutrients and additives......thank you in advance

Iv also put a poll for YES you would use it....or.....NO you wouldn't use it.
just for the sake of different views and conflicts incurred in this thread ..lol..

Thank you...oTOMMYo

Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 PM

Hello again....just for abit more info iv got the product today and its potsil nkp 0-0-9.5 and 23% silicon......if this helps thank you

Any info would be good thanks
Old 12-05-2014, 05:42 AM

Hello oTOMMYo,
I am far from a chemist or botanist, but I do know that any raw nutrient consists of two parts like "potassium silicate" or "calcium nitrate" etc. etc.. What to use and how much depends on the nutrient recipe. An example if you used both calcium nitrate, and potassium nitrate you could have too much nitrogen in the nutrient recipe. While silica isn't considered a necessary nutrient, it can be a beneficial nutrient. Here is a list of necessary nutrients and their basic functions: Elements needed for Hydroponic plants.

I have a couple more articles I can send you If you would like. One explains deficiencies of necessary nutrients, and the other explains non necessary, but other beneficial nutrients (including silica). Also As I said I'm not a chemist or botanist, but here is a blog written by a chemist and hydroponic enthusiast. He has even created a program called "Hydro Buddy" for those that really want to make their own nutrients. For me, the cost of the nutrients I buy are low enough that I don't want to bother getting into making my own. But he has a lot of good related info on his blog as well. Science in Hydroponics
Old 12-07-2014, 09:06 AM

Default Silica

I'm using Earthleave's Rocks for my first time set up. I thought I read somewhere that the rocks contain trace elements of Silica. FWIW