Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

Fogging basil!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:17 PM

Default Fogging basil!

I am new to hydroponics and just started with some simple setup. A square box, and one of those China ultrasonic misters inside. It was the cheapest one, single head, no LEDs.

It does produces a very thick mist inside the box. That single mister should be sufficient to handle a much larger box. But since I heard that they can fail (which means certain death to all plants) a better setup would be to have two misters inside and have both run alternately in intervals (they don't have to run 24/7). That would add some system safety.

The nutrition I mixed myself. My water has a high Ph (~8) and so far I couldn't find the acid to reduce it. Thai lime concentrate (with citric acid) just worked for a day. Now I use rain water (Ph ~5.0) and added some NaOh.

The fertilizer mix I took from a book (How to Hydroponics {Kieth Roberto}), were I found:

1.00 gallon(s) VEGETATIVE nutrient NPK: 9.5-5.67-11.3 [g]
Calcium Nitrate Ca(NO3)2 6.00
Potassium Nitrate KNO3 2.09
Potassium sulfate K2SO4 0.46
Monopotassium Phosphate KH2PO4 1.39
Magnesium Sulfate MgSO4 * 7H2O 2.42
7% Fe Chelated Trace Elements 0.40 (this one not yet)

I recalculated that to 10L (nearly 3 Gal.) and mixed it into about 500mL hot water. There was some flogging, not sure why. Water too hot? 500mL not enough?

The Basil I got from a Thai grocery place, they sell it by the pound. I had it water for a week. Some died, some rooted, the picture shows the survivor. I chose basil because it's available and cheap in case things go wrong.

My further aim is a selection of eatable things, beside Thai basil, sweet basil, parsley, mint and other things that can survive survive the hot humid climate here in Hong Kong. Tomatoes are on my list too.

Another thing I like to do is to mix fertilizer concentrates. It's easier then putting the 5 chemicals together. Anybody doing it here? I am a little uncertain about that, I heard there can be a reaction, hence they sell usually in A and B parts.

Any critic is welcome!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fog_basil.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2656  
Old 05-27-2014, 11:46 PM

Holy fog! That images was taken 2 days later! When I put the basil into the fog pot the roots were very small and nothing was hanging out - this morning - TWO days later some roots are 10cm long. Unbelievable!

One question: Can I clone plants in the fogger? Or is there a problem with either the method, or the full strength fertilizer fog?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basil_2dayslater.jpg
Views:	1257
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	2658