Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My third system

Old 07-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default My third system

So I have been really busy the last few days setting up the third system and moving the second system off the grass.

My third system is an ebb and flow using the blue barrel halves and an old stock tank I lined with plastic. I have a timer set up for 15 minutes on every hour and that is seems to keep everything quite moist. In the far side I have the cantalopes that clogged up the 2nd system and in the closest barrel I have the cuecumbers. I made it with room for two more barrels; which I have cut and ready to go just nothing to put in them yet. So by putting the system right infront of the door in the driveway everybody has to walk arround it so maybe I they will get sick of it and build my freaking greenhouse!

I put a livestock panel hooped over both so they can trellis and if I need to I can add a hammock for the fruit. I still do not have the stock tank covered, but I bought some foam insulation to cut to size and cover. The tank is completely covered and shadded by the barrels.

System 2 is doing ok. I moved the climbing plants to the back and plan on a much more sturdy support for them, but I was tired and just wanted something for them to lean on for the night. I have lost several plants both to heat and earwigs so I boughts some organic neem oil thing that is both a fungicide and insectiside. Says certified organic so I though I would give it a try.

My pumpkins? in the 1st system are doing great, growing crazy fast. I think I can see them grow if I stand there and watch them for awhile. They are drinking about 4 gals of water a day now and the tub is filled w/roots. No way could I lift the lid even if I wanted to.

The blue mess in the background is my sons current project. Besides it wouldn't be Finley if there wasn't some yard art!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 008.jpg
Views:	976
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	1341   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 005.jpg
Views:	947
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1342   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 006.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1343   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	1344   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 001.jpg
Views:	936
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	1345  

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 07-21-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 PM

nice job. what is your medium in the barrels? I like the cattle panel for the climbing plants. good luck and I hope your crop is bountiful.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:21 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

So far just pea gravel because it was so cheap. I think I have enough clay pellets for the 3rd one and I'm thinking of experminting with something else in the 4th one, just don't know what yet.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:46 AM

I haven't tried it yet, though it's on my to-do-list. But I have herd that lava rock works well. It's also porous, so it gets good aeration to the roots, and it will be a lot less heavy than the gravel. I haven't herd of any pH issues using it, though I would want to test it before putting it in a system. You just want to wash/rinse all the dust out real well first. Also I'm not sure if you read me mention that I usually use coco chips before, it's my favorite growing medium so far. A 2 cubic foot brick costs about $10-$11 and makes about 15 gallons of growing medium when expanded. I'm also looking into using pine shavings, as well as pine bark because I know they are both commonly used in commercial hydroponic systems.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Quick update: Had to adjust the flood from 15 minutes every hour to twice an hour due to wilting. I'm not sure if it was because they just came out of a continous flow and want more water or if the gravel was getting too hot in between floods. Either way, twice an hour is working great and starting to get some female flowers with the little fruit behind them on the cantalope and the cucumbers are just starting to flower.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 PM

Gravel isn't porous, so it dosen't hold any water itself.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 AM

I think I saw some white lava rock at Lowes, I might try that. I kind of would like to try mini carrots in the 4th system so I am researching that.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:37 PM

So just a quick update before work. Since my camera is at the hydro races, I will have to make do without any picts. I have pollinated 4 canalope and 3 are growing so far. I expected them to be round like the pumpkins, but they are not yet. They are trellising on the livestock panel and are now taller then I am.
I have several dozen male flowers on the zuchinni but no females yet however the plants have doubled in size since I moved them to this system.

I have about a dozen flowers on the tomatos plants and it looks like 4 peppers starting.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 PM

So the growth in this third system has been amazing this week! I have several cantalope starting and they are trellising nicely. The zichinni has more then doubled in size and I have both male and female flowers. There are several very small black bees? that are helping me to pollinate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 016.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1385   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 017.jpg
Views:	861
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1386   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 018.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	1387   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 019.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1388   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 020.jpg
Views:	889
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	1389  

Name:	hydroponics 022.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1390  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:27 PM

Just a quick end of the weekend update... Lots more bees this week, about 4 different varieties. Good for the plants, no so much for me as I am alergic. Family has voted I can no longer "play" with my plants if nobody else is here. So I just have to wait for somebody to come home, not really a big deal since we are all on differnt schedules and somebody is usually home. Carl's dad is in the hospital this week so I haven't had time to do anything with the last 2 barrells. Still playing with some ideas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hydroponics 003.jpg
Views:	903
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1408   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 004.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1409   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 005.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1410   Click image for larger version

Name:	hydroponics 006.jpg
Views:	852
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1411  
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM

All your plants are looking great. And that water melon (I think you said) reminds me of the cantaloupes I grew last year. I also grew snow peas like that too last year, I tended to just pluck them and eat them straight off the plant. I'm allergic to bees too! Many years ago I used to carry the prescription shot, so I could inject myself right away if I got stung. But I don't have one anymore. Luckily it has been years since I have been stung by anything (over a decade). The last time I was riding my motorcycle, and a wasp hit me in the leg. I went straight home (5 min away), pulled out the stinger. Tried sucking as much venom out as I could with a camping snake bite kit. Then made a patch out out of baking soda and put it over the spot, then warped it to my leg. Everything was going well until the next day when I went to work, and had to leave a few hours early to go to a walk in doctors office to get the shot.

The doc told me where I went wrong was going to work, and walking around on the leg all day. I should have kept off of it, changing the backing soda patch. Kept the leg up, and with ice on it. Though I know everybody's allergic levels to stings are different, and change over time. They don't really scare me anymore, I know a few things to do to self medicate if stung. I don't mind being around bees too much, I'm just careful not to provoke them. I just let them do their thing, and if there's more than a few in my general area, I just calmly step back out of the way. If I needed to get something done and there were too many bees in the area, I would smoke them out of the area, similar to the way bee keepers do (but have never had to yet).

Now I live in the land of the killer bees (Arizona). Even though I'm always on the lookout for bee swarms and aggressive bees, I'm most concerned with scorpions. We have the Bark scorpion here, and I haven't been stung by one. But I know I'm allergic to bees, so I don't know what a bark scorpion sting will do to me. We get the house sprayed for pests at least twice a year, and I have a pump sprayer with pesticide (that works for scorpions too) that I periodically spray around. I have caught about 6-7 scorpions in the house in the last about 5 years. Their easy to catch when you see them, I just place a glass jar over them, slide a piece of cardboard underneath, then flip it over. They cant climb glass. But when I start seeing crickets inside, I know scorpions aren't far behind, and it's time to get the place sprayed.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 PM

I am the same way with bees.. Pretty much if it flies and stings I have an alergy to it in some degree... I usually am ok with not going to the doctor's, unless they get me in the head, and that is where they like to get me the most.. Yellow jackets on the other hand, while I don't swell seem to put my body into shock.. I didnt enjoy learning that one.

I tend to just respect their space as well. Though I think it is funny how many gardeners are actually allergic to their garden "friends". My sister is planning to start her own bee hive in Louisiana.. I think I will be avoiding visiting as much lol. Though they are interested in hydroponics after I get my systems down to a science. They have about 6 households of family in the area and all would benifit from a good supply of produce year round.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:09 PM

Ya, it sure is funny. I'm working on having a commercial farm for growing produce for our local community. But because of our extreme weather, it will be necessary to grow inside a climate controlled greenhouses most of the year. Thus I will need to bring in pollinating insects (bees, bumble bees, and/or fly's). Here I am allergic, but considering raising my own bumble bees. Using bumble bees because their more docile, and have a easier going temperament than bees. Also the killer bees can infiltrate a bee hive, and turn it into a killer bee hive. But bumble bees don't live nearly as long as bees do from what I've read, basically just weeks. Having them shipped in every 3 weeks to a month would be very expensive. That's why I'm considering raising what I need myself. If that isn't ironic...
Old 08-04-2011, 11:21 PM

it makes complete sense to me lol. the need to get what you need done is more important lol.. And worst case.. the bees are sensitive to temperatures and will return to their hive in certain temperature/humidity conditions. They don't waist their energy if they think the conditions are less than favorable to get what they want from the plants as well... You might be able to use that to your advantage and change the temp/humidity to make them return to their hive when you need to run maintenance to minimize risk as well.

I have also considered getting bees myself when I get out of the apartments, and get myself some land. I havent made a final decision yet, but I think I might. I am considering building indoor grow systems as well, and would be in a similar situation. I am in Florida and would prefer to still be growing and not lose all my maters if a hurricane comes through lol... I have a ton of ideas on how I might set up the growing areas. My ideas are very contained and controlled.... More so than many like to be lol... I guess I am just more into the over doing it than doing what is needed.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM

I have the shot cuz I stop breathing....

If you mix in meat tenderizer in with the baking soda into a really wet paste it helps pull the toxin out the injection site then add ice right way it will slow any reaction except for the whole breathing stoppage thing.

It is a baby cantalope and it's about 4 inches long now. AND as it happens I'm alergic to them too, but my son loves them.

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 08-04-2011 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37 PM

LOL your just all about the things that hate you lol.. I also keep drawing salve and tobacco on hand for such occasions as well. The drawing salve is a black tar-like substance. tobacco helps when applied moist to the location of the sting. Similarly just drawing out the toxin, but the chemicals in it also help slow the bloodflow of the area as well (constricting arteries as tobacco does so well)

I think my worst reaction is to yellow jackets.. I get some crazy pain throughout my whole body (I have had kidney stones and think the sting is worse) and then black out. It is probably a very interesting alergy if nothing else lol.. My nervous system doesnt like their toxin at all.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:11 AM

Your reactions are worse than mine fintuckyfarms, I have never stopped breathing before, or even had breathing problems from it I that remember. My skin quickly swells up, and turns leather hard. My whole limb/s will swell up to twice their normal size. But I am concerned that if I get stung in the neck or head, my throat could swell up and choke me to death, because I swell up so bad. But I know the severity of reaction changes over time, and with how often your stung. I haven't been stung in about 20 years, so it's hard to say how my body will react now.

Ya I used the baking soda as a paste over the sting, but I never knew meat tenderizer will help draw out the poison too. I had a friend many years back who smoked that was allergic too, and he told me about using tobacco in a paste as well. But I don't smoke so I don't usually have any cigarettes handy. But If I'm ever away from the house and get stung, I'm sure there is someone near by that does smoke. Or at least a store I can buy a pack of cigarettes from. I always take a first aid kit with that stuff with me when I go camping.

One time I was camping at J-tree national park (we go there a lot), and we climbed to the top of a rock formation in our campground. We were climbing down and went around a corner. Right in front of me, 10-20 feet away was a large swarming bee hive (not killer bees or they would have attacked). It was right in the middle of the only path down on that side of the rock formation. The worst part was I had to go to the bathroom (that's why we were climbing down), and I could see the port-a-potty about 100 feet or so away. But we had to slowly back out and go all the way around the rock formation. There would have been no way through without being stung hundreds of times (just no other option).

P.S.
Now that you mention it jamromhem, I have some of that drawing save around here somewhere. I forget what I bought it for, but I remember using that black tar looking stuff. It kind of stinks too. I hadn't thought about that as an option before, but I have some somewhere.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 AM

The last time I got bit by something out in the pasture I had hives for 10 days and breathing problems for 4 days. I had to go back to the er 4 times for shots and IV's to regulate my breathing and blood pressure. I still don't know what it was, nothing with a stinger anyway. I missed almost 2 weeks of work.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:27 AM

ouch. that is worse than any reaction I have. I am good after the first ER visit on my worst reactions usually.

Yes GPS it does stink some lol. It is often used for systs, bites, infections. All sorts of things that have toxins you want out lol.. My family keeps it on hand because we are used to living with brown recluses, small brown scorpions, and the like. Not to mention I have a niece (about 3 now I think) that keeps getting systs. We are not sure where they come from, but she gets them bad...

I would have had to go pretty bad to go past the bee hive, depending on just how close I had to get lol. I have a tendancy to hike with a set of long cloths in the pack for such reasons lol.

I think the oddest thing is with my alergies to those flying stinging things... I can play in poison ivy and oak and never have an itch lol..
Old 08-05-2011, 06:30 AM

Ya, there was no questions about it for us, we weren't going through the bee hive. The pathway (which was really a rock leaning agents a rock) led around a corner. Around the corner there was another rock leaning agents the larger rock we were coming down. Creating a short of tunnel. The tunnel was about 5 feet wide, and about 8-10 feet tall, and about 5 feet long. The only pathway we could take went right through the tunnel, and the bee hive was inside the tunnel. There was no way around it. Well at least not without a good chance of severe injury from falling off the rock formation without some climbing gear (we didn't have at the time). And the drop was at least a good 50 feet or so. So the only question in my mind was if I was going to be able to make it all the way around the rock formation before, well you know. Luckily I made it.