Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

growing mediums that resemble small pebbles

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 AM

Default growing mediums that resemble small pebbles

I am preparing to build a small indoor hydroponic garden.

I'm sure as I progress in this project I will have many questions, but 3 come to mind initially

First a little detail. I am planning this garden as a prototype for a future "off grid" garden. I will have electrical generating capability, but will have to be "careful" of electrical usage.

I want to be able to grow enough tomatoes for personal use 12 months out of the year. So the garden will be small, and needs to be energy efficient.

Q1. I have read that the primary growing mediums are various products that resemble small pebbles. How does the pumped nutrients rise up to the level of the small plants growing on top of the stomas (or do you pump the growing chamber so full of nutrients that the liquid reaches the top of the growing medium ?

Q2. In order to minimize light requirements, is it appropriate to grow "arctic" varieties of tomatoes, or are they heavily compromised as to flavor and texture.

Q3. Since I want to minimize the use of electricity what would be the minimum wattage for an hps (Or is there something better) light to bring 1 good tomato plant to good production during the winter?

Thank you in advance for your time in helping out a beginner.

Regards, George Clay 1)

Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 AM

Yes the water needs to rise high enough to wet the roots of the plants.

Hard to say. Some verities do taste better than others.

I noticed Home Depot sells a 175 Watt HPS for $45.00. That would be my minimum for one tomato plant.