Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

GPS Did You See This? Polyurethane Foam For Seeds?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Default GPS Did You See This? Polyurethane Foam For Seeds?

Polyurethane Foam for seedlings.

Using polyurethane foam as seed starter - Hydroponics Forum - GardenWeb

At a place I found that carries it 1" thick in sheets, 24" x 72", its very cheap to use this method. Several thousands cubes to start seeds for $18.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:02 AM

Hey CrossOps,
Ya, I'm a member in the garden web forum as well. Though there I go by "homehydro" as my user name (short for my website "Home Hydro systems"). When I was just getting into hydroponics and found the hydroponics online forum, I tried to register in this forum using different user names, and they were all already taken. So I just went with the only website I had at the time as my user name (GpsFrontier), simply because I just wanted to post a question, not spend a lot of time registering. About a year and half later I had the home hydro systems website, so I just tried to use that in the garden web forum when I registered there, and much to my surprise homehydro wasn't taken.

If you look at the second to last post in that thread (as of today anyhow) you'll see my post about me finding a source for the stuff here in town. I still haven't tried it, or even bought any yet. But it's definitely on my list of things to try out. I think they even carry it at wal mart in the fabric department. I didn't look close when I was at wal mart, but I saw something similar when I was looking for a inexpensive fabric for another system I plan to build for growing large numbers of green onions in rotation.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 AM

It looks awesome. I just found a source online, 36 x 72 for around $28. I found several others, and most will instantly send you a sample if you ask for it.

I went and bought some for a buck or two from dollar general and home depot last night to test, and already have some with holes in it, and soaked and stacked.

So waiting to see how it does, but it sure looks extremely cheap to do this way if it works.