Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

is 24 8 16 ok for new tomatoe sprouts?

Old 07-09-2010, 12:52 AM

Default is 24 8 16 ok for new tomatoe sprouts?

just got my hydroponic system built and starting new tomatoe plants what number plant food shouild i use now when they are young and what to use when time to bloom ?

Old 07-09-2010, 01:37 AM

I would just use plain water until the sprouts reach about an inch tall. Then I would mix the nutrient solution at about 1/4 strength until they get another couple of inches. Then I would mix it at about 1/2 to 2/3 strength tell the plants grow a bit more before mixing it full strength.

As for the numbers I wouldn't worry about that, for tomato's I would make sure the nutrients were made for continuously fruiting plants. If you are still concerned about the numbers then just make sure the nutrients were specifically designed for tomato's, and by a reputable company.

P.S. Also make sure you are using hydroponic nutrients in a hydroponic system.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:51 AM

Default thanks alot also...

do you increase nitrogen or decrease when they start to blooming phase ?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:38 AM

Tomato's are continuously fruiting plants. In other words they don't have vegetative, and fruiting stages. They are always fruiting. So if you want you can say they are always in the fruiting stage, from a couple of inches tall, tell they die. But they are always in the vegetative stage thought there entire life also. That is why I recommend using a nutrient formula that's for continuously fruiting plants. That gives them the best mix of both. Just to show what I'm talking about here is a product by General Hydroponics that's for continuously fruiting plants like tomato's. FLORAMATO DRY
Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to watercatwn6535nd

I have been using floramato now for a few weeks. best stuff i have ever touched. buy the biggest conatiner you can to get the best price it last a long time to. tomotoes need to be vegged tell ther about half the size of the plant you want them switched to 12 hours cycles to get flowers indoors. if you go 18 or 24 they just go back to vegg stage and increase plant size. i have been okay before with 18 and 20 ours before but my vf100's like 12/12 light.