Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

need help with Peace Lily

Old 02-27-2017, 02:22 AM

Default need help with Peace Lily

Has anyone succesfully tranferred Peace Lily plants to a Grow Stone medium? Instructions I read were to soak the Grow Stone, then drain. Fill the pot with Grow Stone and then place the Peace Lily (dirt removed). 2 inches of water at the bottom of the pot, and then make sure the roots don't actually go down into the water. I suspect my Peace Lily's still died of root rot. Any advice?

On a side note, why is it that you can take a Peace Lily and grow it in a vase of water (with no other medium) and it will not die of root rot? Whereas you overwet a medium, and it is more prone to root rot? Is it because in the water-only medium, it's harder for bacteria to thrive?

Old 02-27-2017, 12:44 PM

Hello odie91,
I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly. Were you trying to transfer the plant into a hydroponic system, or just a container with grow stones and 2 inches of water in the bottom? If it's the later, I wasn't there to see how you did it and how moist the grow rocks were, but I would suspect the plant died from dehydration. With all the water at the bottom and the grow rocks drying out, the roots wouldn't be able to get any moisture.

Quote:
On a side note, why is it that you can take a Peace Lily and grow it in a vase of water (with no other medium) and it will not die of root rot? Whereas you overwet a medium, and it is more prone to root rot? Is it because in the water-only medium, it's harder for bacteria to thrive?
While there is some truth to pathogens being able to multiply faster in a growing media than just water alone, the growing media will act as a bio filter giving the pathogens (as well as beneficial microbes) more surface area to attach to. But pathogens will thrive in straight water as well. However it's not over wet/over watering that's the problem. It's suffocation. Like humans, the plants roots need oxygen as well. They pull dissolved oxygen from the water itself, but once that's depleted the plants will begin to suffocate. When they suffocate, that's when their far more venerable to pathogens causing disease. Some plants tolerate wet feet (waterlogged roots) better than others. That is some plants will be fine constantly submerged in water provided there is enough dissolved oxygen, but others need fresh air as well for added oxygen. Plants that prefer well draining soil don't like wet feet. A water culture system is a perfect example of constantly submerged roots, however the air stone and air pump provide added fresh air/oxygen.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:49 PM

Hi, so I was doing the "latter". I was trying to do the setup as detailed on this website:

https://publiclab.org/wiki/diy-indoo...emediation-kit

My understanding was the GrowStone would pull the water up by capillary action to feed the roots. I never got past the acclimation phase, so the plant died before I got to the air pump addition.

My assessment that it was root rot was based just from past experience where I've killed Peace Lily's by overwatering in soil, and seeing its characteristics. The roots were a slimy mush. But maybe I'm wrong and it was dehydration as you suggest.

Any other advice would be appreciated. For my second go around I was just going to transplant a Peace Lily into straight water and let it acclimate, then go to the Hydro Stone. Not sure if there's any logic to this but.........