Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Hydroponic wheat deficiency

Old 03-09-2016, 12:03 PM

Default Hydroponic wheat deficiency

Hi everybody!
I'm an hydroponic's beginner who try an experiment in this fascinating colture.

I created a simple Drip-system for 4 wheat plants using led light, and after 15 days of cultivation leaves shows this situation on their apexes..
what do you think about it? any suggestion?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	2919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2909.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	1269
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	2921  
Old 03-10-2016, 03:09 AM

Hello Massi_WF,

1. What nutrients are you using (do you have a link to them)?
2. How much nutrients are you using per gallon of water?
3. What are you using for the water source?
4. What is the pH?
5. What are you using to check the pH?
6. What led lights are you using (do you have a link to them)?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:31 AM

Hello, thanks for the reply!

1) I use Atami B'cucc COCO
http://www.hydroponics.eu/atami-b-cu...2x5l~1129.html
because my substrate is a mix of coco (10%) and clay (90%)

2) I used 2.3 mL of solution A and 1.35 mL of sol B per gallon of water

3) I use tap water (EC=0.6 mS)

4) The average pH value is 5.9

5) I use ADWA AD12

6) I use 90cm LED bar (40W) with 5 different wavelengths: 660nm - 630nm - 430- 470nm - 6500k
Old 03-10-2016, 10:03 PM

Hello Massi_WF,
I'm going to go out on a limb and say I bet your located in Europe.... I'm in Arizona...

Thanks for the link to the nutrients your using. FYI, I have yet to see the type of hydroponic nutrients used make any difference with coco fiber/chips as the growing media. As far as I'm concerned, the claims of a nutrient being designed to work better with coco fiber is just a marketing ploy. Their might be some real science behind their manufactures propaganda claims, but it's so minimal it doesn't make any difference. They know coco fiber is widely used, and want to increase their appeal to growers using it as their growing media. Just so you know...

Quote:
1) I use Atami B'cucc COCO
http://www.hydroponics.eu/atami-b-cu...2x5l~1129.html
because my substrate is a mix of coco (10%) and clay (90%)
I asked for a link to the nutrients for three reasons. First I wanted to make sure they were actually formulated for hydroponic plants and not soil plants. Second, I wanted to see if they were organic nutrients. Third I wanted to see the manufactures mixing/feed chart. They are hydroponic nutrients, they don't seem to be organic, although they do reference using them in conjunction with " bio-stimulators" in the description. I'm assuming that's their name/term for beneficial microbes. But I didn't see their feed chart. Do you have a link to the feed chart on the nutrient manufactures website?

Quote:
2) I used 2.3 mL of solution A and 1.35 mL of sol B per gallon of water
Without the nutrient manufactures feed/mixing chart I can't judge your nutrient concentrations.

Quote:
3) I use tap water (EC=0.6 mS)
This could be a problem. Do you know what is in your tap water (what that 0.6 consists of)?

Quote:
4) The average pH value is 5.9
Anything around 6.0 should be fine.

Quote:
5) I use ADWA AD12
I'm sorry I don't know what a "ADWA AD12" is? I wanted to know if you were using pH drops, a electric meter, and/or litmus strips. If you were using pH drops, I wanted to make sure they were for hydroponics and not for pools. Litmus strips aren't all that accurate, and electronic meters can give false results even when stored and maintained properly. The only for sure reliable method is using pH drops for hydroponics. Even if you have a meter you should double check the readings using the drops if there is any question. And in this case I would say there is a question since nutrient deficiencies and pH are related.

Quote:
6) I use 90cm LED bar (40W) with 5 different wavelengths: 660nm - 630nm - 430- 470nm - 6500k
Thanks, but that doesn't help me at all. I'm trying to determine if the LED's your using are for growing plants. Not any LED's will work to grow plants. I have never seen a LED grow light like that before, and it looks more like it was designed for lighting a room, or as a room or cabinet accent light, party light etc., not growing plants. I could be wrong, but that's why I asked if you had a link to the light online.

P.S.
I have a few more questions:

1. What does the nutrient solution look like? Is it clear/translucent or clowdy?
2. Does the nutrient solution have a musty or moldy smell? Smell like wet dirty socks etc.?
3. Is there any foam on top of the water in the reservoir?
4. Can you see the roots? If so do they look white and healthy, or brown and slimy?

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 03-11-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:02 PM

Hi!
Yes you’re right, I’m from Italy

-Nutrients
So I find this chart on the Atami’s website.

Name:	Bcuzz-BLB-CocoAB2.jpg
Views:	1154
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	2922

-Tap Water
I found this values for my tap water.

Name:	valori.jpg
Views:	1140
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	2923

-Ph meter
Sorry! ADWA12 is an electric meter, before using it, I calibrate it once with ph buffers (4.01 and 7.01).
However I also use pH drops for the double check

-LED light
I documented well on LED lights so I can assure you that this light is for growing plants!
Here’s the link http://www.shop.hydroinvent.com/epag...LIMENTATORE%22

at least for the last questions:
1) It looks clear!
2) yeah it smell a little like dirty socks but not so much
3)No!
4)I can see the roots because they are totally immersed in the substrate

Thank you very very much!!
Old 03-15-2016, 04:49 AM

Hello Massi_WF,

Italy.. I find it fascination how the internet makes it possible to communicate with people from all around the world instantly. It wasn't all that long ago that it took weeks or longer for letter to reach it's destination just 100 or so miles away, and now it just takes seconds to get there anywhere in the world thanks the the internet. It wasn't all that much of a stretch to tell you were in Europe somewhere. The link to the nutrients you provided had a price that was in euros.

Unfortunately I still can't tell much from the two images. I may need glasses, but their both to small for me to be able to read. I tried blowing them up to normal size, but then they were to blurry for me to read as well. I did try looking for the manufacture with the same logo in the image and I think I found them: http://www.atami.com/en/bcuzz/ However I wasn't able to find the same product in your original link. I couldn't find one that was listed as A and B, nor did I see one that looked like the same images on the bottle. So I'm not sure if it's actually the right website, or which one your using if it is.

Can you provide a link from the manufactures website to the exact product your using so I can be sure I'm looking at and researching the right one? Manufactures also often have a link from the product to the feed chart for that product that I'm looking for.

Quote:
-Ph meter
That's fine, as long as we can eliminate the possibility of electronic malfunctions/false readings, and the pH is between 5.5 and 6.5, your pH level is fine.

Quote:
-LED light
OK, That's a design I have never seen before, but I'm in the US and your in Italy. I don't think 40 watts is very much at all, and this could still be a problem. I'm not familiar with growing wheat hydroponically, and have never seen anyone doing it, so I'll have to research it a little first. However wheat is a grass crop, and I think most grass crops are low light requirement plants. Considering the size of the plants, the 40 watts of LED may be enough, at least for now. But at this point I'm still not sure if 40 watts of LED lighting is enough until I do some research.

Quote:
2) yeah it smell a little like dirty socks but not so much
This has me a bit concerned, because unless their organic nutrients (and I don't think what your using is), and/or adding beneficial microbes to the nutrient solution, their shouldn't be much of a smell. A musty and moldy smell in the nutrient solution can mean there are unwanted fungi, bacteria and pathogens growing in it and/or on the roots and growing media. However the water will also usually be clowdy as well, and in sevier cases a visible foam forms on top of the water. Since these pathogens and fungi attack the roots, a sure way to tell there are pathogens in the water is if the roots are brown and smiley, typically referred to as root rot.

(NOTE) I didn't ask you what the water temperature was because it looks like you have these plants growing in the house, and the water temp is likely near room temp, so I'm guessing it's below 78 degrees F (26 C). Temperatures near and higher than 80 begin to cause heat stress, as well as provide the optimum conditions for pathogens to thrive.

P.S.
As I said before I'm not familiar with growing wheat, nor do I know of anyone growing it hydroponically. About all I know about wheat is it's a tall grass that the seeds (grain) is used to make flower. But you mentioned the issue your seeing is at the tips of the leaves. If I'm not mistaken browning/dying leave/blade tips are common and normal with grasses. So I'm still not sure if there really is a problem right now. But regardless, no mater what your growing if you feel there might be a problem, the way to fix it is by identifying possible sources of a problem, and fixing those issues first. The three main possible issues I'm looking for are nutrient feeding issues (this includes from the water supply), pathogens, and lighting.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:30 AM

thanks to all for the info!