Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Trying to grow too many things together???

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Default Trying to grow too many things together???

So being a noob, albeit an excited noob, I know I am trying to grow too many different types and ages of plants together. I have strawberries and tomatoes starting to flower and peppers and cukes that are about one month from flowering. I am just wondering if it would hurt the flowering ones less not to have the bloom nutes, or the unflowered ones getting the bloom nutes before they need them?

Not looking for perfect plants my first time, just looking to get my feet wet and am enjoying every minute!

Thanks for the help.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:53 AM

I'm confused in the question because strawberries, tomatoes, peppers and cukes are all continuously flowering/fruiting plants. What other plants are you growing in that system that only flowers late in it's life?
Old 04-19-2012, 08:51 AM

Sorry for the confusion...

I meant that the strawberries and the tomatoes are flowering now, while the peppers and the cukes are not and they are all being fed the same nutes. It was my understanding that you don't mix the bloom nutes in 'till the plants are actually flowering? At least that is the way I read the Fox Farms feeding schedule that comes with the nutes...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM

Default Veg or Bloom? How about Both

Many nutrient companies specifically tailor their nutrient formulas to a specific stage of plant development (veg, bloom, etc); this tailoring is done by manipulating the relative concentration of the macronutrients and sometimes which nutrients are even present in the formula (i.e. not all micronutrients are essential throughout a plant's entire lifecycle).

I have used FoxFarm on occasion and recall they tailor their bloom additives by both manipulating the concentration of the macronutrients and presence of micronutrients. Since you already have flowering plants sharing a reservoir with non-flowering plants, I would recommend deviating from the FoxFarm feeding schedule (they assume you are growing a uniform crop) and use a blend of nutrients for each stage (i.e. veg and bloom). Think of it like this - you will be giving the plants a balanced, complete meal from which they can pick and choose what to eat.

One cautionary note: the blooming additives of FoxFarm are mucho potente (e.g. 0-50-30). I would cutback the recommended amount and dilute it down so that you don't get NPK overkill (in this case: PK overkill). My one criticism of their products is the phosphorus levels are simply out of proportion with what plants really need.