Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

When to move rockwool seedlings to dutch buckets

Old 01-10-2019, 12:58 AM

Yes Verti gro has been doing vertical hydro for a while. I’ve been buying the nutrients from them for a while cause it works real well. I’ve never had to go full strength with their nutrients I only go as high as 3/4.

You can only use suckers not the branches to start new plants.

Old 01-11-2019, 03:05 PM

Default Post flush update & question

The plants seem to continue to “recover”…. easily the top 1/3 of each plant is lush green, fuzzy, no yellowing on the leaves (see pics). I went through and counted all the flowers I could find (albeit some VERY small) and came up with 35 (again see pics). That’s across all the plants, one plant alone having 12, and 1 an actual tomato (no end rot either!). I know there should be more than twice that many flowers, but I’ll take whatever goes all the way to fruition. On cloning the suckers - what’s a good “length” range to place them into the cloner? I’m leaving all the suckers I see right now (only 3 or 4 since trimming, most not over an inch) until the parts I ordered to re-assemble the cloner come in. Cool nights are still forcing me to wheel them into the garage at night. The reservoir sprung a leak, so I replaced it with a much higher quality Tote, and mounted it on a “skid” plate for moving. I was concerned I might be over watering (some droopy leaves when I first got back) so 2 days ago I changed watering to off 30 / on 5 - your thoughts on that and what signs do you go by to tell you to little / too much water? Thanks!
PS - Whats the secret to getting pictures to rotate how you want them? I'll rotate them in a different app, save, and they still come in sideways!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	System_Jan11-19.jpg
Views:	1397
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	3165   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowers1_Jan11-19.jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	3166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowers2_Jan11-19.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	3167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowers3_Jan11-19.jpg
Views:	1374
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	3168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flowers4_Jan11-19.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	3169  

Name:	Flowers5_Jan11-19.jpg
Views:	1438
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	3170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tomato_Only1_Jan11.jpg
Views:	1389
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	3171  
Old 01-12-2019, 03:58 AM

Great you probably saved the plants right ontime.

Suckers can be 3 - 4 inch to put in rockwool cube.

Depending on the heat if it’s how 5 on 30 off if it’s cool 3 on 30 off.

Just look at the leaves of the plant they will tell you if it’s healthy or not.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
Great you probably saved the plants right ontime.

Suckers can be 3 - 4 inch to put in rockwool cube.

Depending on the heat if it’s how 5 on 30 off if it’s cool 3 on 30 off.

Just look at one of these top compound bows and the leaves of the plant they will tell you if it’s healthy or not.
How long does the recovery take in cases like this btw? Days? Weeks?

Last edited by Giuffre; 08-03-2023 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuffre View Post
How long does the recovery take in cases like this btw? Days? Weeks?
With these plants you will notice a difference in the leaves within 1 - 3 days at the most. A complete full recovery will take a little longer. When the plants get adjusted to the new nutrients they will flourish but will be very top heavy with tomatoes due to starting these nutrients late. Still should be able to get plenty of tomatoes.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:13 PM

Default Ready to clone, questions and update...

Stan, Let me apologize in advance for the long post. Parts finally arrived to “resurrect” the Aeropnoic Cloner. I’ve “identified” six suckers for cloning, just waiting until the smallest of the six get to the 3 to 4 inches you suggested. Question on cloning nutrients: Being these are suckers not seeds / seedlings, should I stay with the Vertigro formula at some decreased strength, or revert back to MiracleGro® - again at some decreased strength? I’ll also use whichever nutrient mix (PH balanced of course) to pre-soak the Rockwool cubes the suckers will go into.

Question on sucker to cloner “technique”: I see a method out there using the neoprene collars alone (would have to be in a net cup with bottom cut out), but you mentioned using Rockwool cubes. Do you drill a hole in the rockwool cube (roughly diameter of sucker)? My concern on the cube is possibly water spraying out the sides (square cube in round netcup). In both methods I assume an inch or two of the sucker “dangles” in the cloner spray area – is that correct? Any suggestions?

On the Dutch buckets, I’m adding Epsom salts @ a ratio of 1.06 gram per gallon of the nutrient, which I believe roughly equates to your suggested “3 tablespoons in a 48 gallon….”. Other info: I’m using the VertiGro nutrients at full strength, and everything seems A-OK, tops of plants seem lush, green and healthy (see pics). The 3 tomatoes I have are one plant, and seem OK. Other plants are starting flowers (again see pics).

Thanks again for all your help and advice! gdgdad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0124191426.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	3172   Click image for larger version

Name:	0124191426a.jpg
Views:	1416
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	3173   Click image for larger version

Name:	0124191426_Burst01.jpg
Views:	1377
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	3174   Click image for larger version

Name:	0124191426b.jpg
Views:	1353
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	3175   Click image for larger version

Name:	0124191427.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	3176  

Name:	0124191427a.jpg
Views:	1406
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	3177   Click image for larger version

Name:	0124191428_Burst01.jpg
Views:	1430
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	3178   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cube and netpot 2 clone.jpg
Views:	1346
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	3179  
Old 01-24-2019, 06:39 PM

The plants are looking very good they have great color on top and lots trichomes which is a great indicator the plants are healthy.

With the suckers I will cut the rockwool from any side to the center split open with fingers insert sucker close rockwool insert into net cup and top off with hydroton. You can also do away with the rockwool just put the sucker in the net cup and fill with hydroton all around. You don’t need to extend the sucker deeper than the net pot. I prefer getting lots of uniform roots I find this is best way. I’ve had bad luck using neoprene collars so I trashed them.

As for nutrients for the suckers you can either go back to miracle grow at 1/8 strength or do the same with the Verti-gro again 1/8 strength. You want to water these’s a lot at first until you see multiple roots.

You don’t need to go full strength for long with the nutrients i usually go with 3/4 strength and only full strength if I see a lack of flowers but because of the set back remain at full until you think you have enough future tomatoes that will grow. In future grows only go up to 3/4 strength at the most.

You’ve done an amazing job!!! Can’t wait to see a pick of your first ripe tomato.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:38 AM

Default Update and progress report

Stan, just an update and progress report. Plants are lush and full, and there’s 3 seemingly healthy tomatoes and many flowers. I regularly vibrate the flowers with the electric toothbrush in hopes of further pollinating the plants. We’ve been in low 80’s with LOTS of sun lately and I’ve had a hard time keeping the reservoir temp below 80. I’ve since added the foil (windshield sun blockers you suggested) to the buckets and reservoir, and have been dropping in a frozen quart container (of water) into the reservoir daily. Reservoir temps holding in mid to upper 70’s now. Going to be a challenge in just a few weeks! The plants seem to have been sucking up the water big time – I swear they drank 3 gallons in 3 days, but I’ll bet some was lost via evaporation. I have to check water level daily. As you can see from the pics, this setup looks like it’s ready for space or lunar surface! I’m still bringing them in at night, then out again in the morning when we’re 60 degrees or above. Can’t wait to move these into the backyard in a “semi-permanent” location. Thanks again for all your help. GDG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0207191434.jpg
Views:	1386
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	3180   Click image for larger version

Name:	0207191436a.jpg
Views:	1316
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	3181   Click image for larger version

Name:	0207191436.jpg
Views:	1318
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	3182   Click image for larger version

Name:	0207191434a.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	3183   Click image for larger version

Name:	0207191434b.jpg
Views:	1360
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	3184  

Name:	0209191035b.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	3185  
Old 02-18-2019, 01:51 PM

Default The big move!!!

FINALLY – the tomatoes have been moved from the garage into a “semi-permanent” location in the back yard (see picks). Temps down here have been in the low 80’s during the day with plenty of sunshine, and low 60’s at night. It’s expected to stay that way for easily the next 10 days, with nighttime lows going into the 50’s briefly after that. I’ll be making (again temporary) a green house before then for future dips below 55. I cannot believe the nutrient solution being consumed – I’m adding 5 gallons every-other-day. I have plenty of flowers and about a week ago I reduced nutrients to ¾ strength, and have been adding ~ 1 gram of Epsom Salts per gallon, and maintaining PH at 6.5 (PH seems to holding steady – very little adjustment). A neighbor, who was an actual farmer in Jamaica, has been teaching me pruning and thinning techniques. The plants are so lush and full they’re suffocating themselves! 6 tomatoes so far, one starting to turn red. We’re training the plants to grow sideways – some are more than 5 feet long – trellising has been a challenge. As I expected, maintaining reservoir temp has been difficult, I’ve gone from a quart container of ice to 1 gallon (daily) – and can barely maintain temps under 72 during the day. I’ll re-post following the green house construction. gdgdad
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0217191529a.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	3186   Click image for larger version

Name:	0217191529.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	3187   Click image for larger version

Name:	0217191528.jpg
Views:	1391
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	3188   Click image for larger version

Name:	0217191527c.jpg
Views:	1375
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	3189   Click image for larger version

Name:	0217191527b.jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	3190  

Name:	0217191527.jpg
Views:	1341
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	3191  
Old 02-21-2019, 01:58 PM

I’m surprised I didn’t get a notification about your post like I usually do. Luckily I came here to take a look.

The plants look great!! As I mentioned in an earlier post you will need a bigger reservoir as tomatoes will suck up a lot of water. If you can bury a little 100 gallon water tank (pic below) or have it above ground in the shade or wrapped with reflective material or aluminum foil you wouldn’t have to constantly add water. It could be used this time of the year till it starts to get cold again.

Those plants will start to get very heavy when tomatoes start growing all over like crazy. I use heavy gauge cattle fencing in order to make round tomato cages for each plant. You can see them in my pics with the Dutch buckets. You will also need to separate the plants more for your next outdoor grow then go back to this during the colder months.

Once you see the plants are completely full with tomatoes cut down the nutes between 1/4 and 1/2. This is the time to add an extension with more 5 gallon buckets with new plants in them being fed the nutes. By the time you’ve picked your last tomato from this group you should already have plenty of tomatoes forming in the next group.

See I told you it’s easy. When using the right nutes the plants take care of themselves. Great work with this being your first attempt. You will get better and better after each grow. Keep a log book of the temps amount of plants and how much nutes you use and how much approximately each plant takes in of water. You will eventually know How much nutes you need during the full grow cycle.

Now I want to see pucks of some of the tomatoes you get. Cut them open and see how juicy they are and since you’ve been adding the epsom salt they will taste amazing!

https://www.interplantsales.com/imag...age%20Tank.JPG

Last edited by Stan; 02-21-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:07 PM

You can usually find those food grade water tanks used for less than $50 and as low as $25.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Update, modifications and future plans

Good to hear from you Stan, I was worried you’d left the forum! I did pick my first tomato, albeit rather small (2.29 oz.), it was bright red, the other tomatoes (still green) are much larger. On the reservoir, I’m looking into one of those plastic 55 gallon drums (the blue ones you’ve seen). My neighbor works for the county and got me a steel one years ago for a fire pit, I’m certain he can get plastic ones. I would plan on burying that but will have to make sure the pump cord is long enough and the pump has the strength for the additional height. On the trellis – I’ve added framework overhead (see pics) to allow trellising out further while maintaining “mobility”. I still have concerns about a bad storm. Also, I have to maintain a balance of visual esthetics and functionality – the wife doesn’t want anything looking “junk yard”. I’ve learned a LOT from this and my next bucket design will be radically different, and I intended to incorporate cattle fencing. As for the next batch, I wanted to use the seeds you sent me in a 5 bucket system, I’m looking around for 3 gallon containers this time (any suggestions?). I’ve not started your seeds in the cloner yet but will do soon. I’m not sure how long I can expect these plants to produce and I was afraid of getting too many going at once. I need to make a timeline predicting harvest backwards (accounting for hydroponics being faster). On the log book, I keep an Excel spreadsheet recording nutes (water) usage, % of nutes, PH and reservoir temp. Since I’ve moved them outside, I notice I have to lower PH – opposite of having to raise it constantly. One thing I have to get better at is the pruning and thinning out. Fortunately I have my neighbor – formerly a farmer in Jamaica – helping. I knew they were WAY to full and bushy, literally choking themselves, he thinned them out (and removed suckers) filling two grocery bags with “clippings”. It was hard to watch, but I've learned a lot. The new trellising allows us to train branches outward instead of only between the buckets. I’ll keep you posted on progress and new batch.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0221191441.jpg
Views:	1333
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	3192   Click image for larger version

Name:	0221191441a.jpg
Views:	1334
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	3193   Click image for larger version

Name:	0221191441b.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	3194   Click image for larger version

Name:	0221191441c.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	3195  
Old 02-23-2019, 01:38 AM

Yes when you went to full strength nutes the plants starts taking off producing tons of suckers that become almost uncontrollable. Mine last year got out of control as the grew to tall for me to reach. This year my plants will be more separated and I will go with less plants.

Be careful with the blue 55 gallon plastic barrels most of them were not good grade and were used to transport some type of liquid cleaning solution. Try to get the brick red 55 gallon they are food grade and were used for transporting olives or some other type food.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:57 PM

Default Reservoir upgrade, weather and status

Stan, I went with a white 55 gal drum from Rural King, listed as “….for use as rain barrel…”. It did have an acrid odor to it so as a safety measure, I filled it with water and 3 gallons of vinegar to soak overnight (on line said that would take care of most chemicals) then the next day emptied and refilled adding a gallon of bleach to again soak overnight. Smells like plastic now. I made an access lid, mounted the pump, heater and air stones on a piece of tile and it’s ready to go (see pics). We had a cool front move in so I had to scramble to make a temporary “hoop style” greenhouse (parts of which will be used for a permanent one late summer). Temps did drop to upper 40’s overnight, but the small heater I used actually kept it too warm – it was 90 when I checked first thing in the morning – I’ll set it correctly next time. My timing was lucky however – ironically after many days of upper 80’s, they’re predicting a VERY COLD front coming, in 8 or 9 days – temps possibly into upper 30’s!! The weather’s been a roller coaster – we’ll be in 80’s before then! But barrel will be in ground, heated and operational - well before then. I have a remote thermometer scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I can monitor temp inside the “sealed” greenhouse. As of yesterday, every plant has tomatoes, ranging in size from just a little larger than a pea, to the size of an apple – all shiny green. I’m really optimistic I’m going to get a half decent production despite the setback late December / early January. Thanks again for all the help! GDG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0224191215.jpg
Views:	1313
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	3196   Click image for larger version

Name:	0224191741.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	3197   Click image for larger version

Name:	0225191024.jpg
Views:	1324
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	3198   Click image for larger version

Name:	0225191024a.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	3199  
Old 02-26-2019, 10:14 PM

If you’re going to bury the 55 gallon barrel in the ground I don’t believe you would need a heater for the water. You could paint the top of the barrel black so during cold months the sun should keep the water warm enough. During hot summer months you would want to put reflective sheet or same as you used for 5 gallon buckets to reflect the sun so it doesn’t get hot.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:01 PM

Default New tank in and concerns about a few tomatoes…..

Stan, the new “tank” is in the ground (see pics). Whew what a job! Forgive the temporary electrical arrangement, but it started raining and I had to scramble. I’m assuming (hoping) filling it near to the top is the 55 gallons. I’m going to look for some type of flow gauge for the end of the hose. I mixed nutrients (¾ strength) for 55 gallons, and 1 gram Epsom salt per gallon. I’m down to ¾ a gallon of each concentrate mix – looks like another drive to Vertigro® soon… Also, it took ¼ quart of PH UP to get the PH to 6.2 . Post "fill and PH adjust", water temp was 74, I’m debating adding a frozen gallon – your thoughts? It’s a whole new ball game working with this volume! I’ve covered the tank’s top in foil insulation, and the heater’s in there “just in case” (we will briefly see 30’s this time next week they’re saying!!!) I’m praying my heater in the sealed “greenhouse” can keep it at 60f or above. I’m pretty confident – the visqueen is a really heavy mill, and on a high 40’s morning it was 90 inside. My remote thermometer arrived and I can monitor the temp inside without opening the visqueen. On the tomatoes… one has a “powdery” black spot (sort of "smuggy"), and two others have what looks like “indention's” on the bottom (see pics). These are the only tomatoes I see with any anomalies – the rest look shiny and clear. Hopefully this is something I’ve spotted in time. Your thoughts / suggestions? Remove these tomatoes? I still have the Neem® oil. Thanks again for all your help! GDG
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0227191512.jpg
Views:	1369
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	3200   Click image for larger version

Name:	0227191512a.jpg
Views:	1394
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	3201   Click image for larger version

Name:	0227191512b.jpg
Views:	1313
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	3202   Click image for larger version

Name:	0227191513.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	3203   Click image for larger version

Name:	0227191513a.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	3204  

Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 PM

Almost out of nutrients? Something doesn’t seem right. I start growing in May and go all the way into late October and never used a gallon of nutrients that whole time using a reservoir that holds 45 gallons of water. You must be over feeding those plants you don’t need to do that cut down the amount of nutrients you use. You can also sometimes go more that a week depending what stage of growing you are in.

Great job on the 55 gallon reservoir!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:38 AM

Default Disaster recovery mode, possibly moot tomato question

Stan, I did indeed make a mistake on the nutrients. In my haste I used the per 5 gallon ratio (1.88 oz p/ gal for ¾ strength) to a per gallon mix in the drum. I discovered this after your post about 9 am this morning - THANK YOU - and scrambled to completely drain the tank, wet-vac out the bottom, and refill with straight water. I also have the pump running continuously to hopefully flush out or at least dilute the concentration. I salvaged what nutrient mix I could with every bucket and container I had that would hold water. Incredibly stupid mistake – hope I haven’t burned them out. This may be a moot point now, but last post I mentioned three tomatoes, one with a black “smug” on the bottom, and two with irregular shaped indention's. The pictures aren’t great (again rushing to beat the rain) but I can re-take closer and clearer if that would help. Any thoughts on those? pull them?
Old 02-28-2019, 02:04 PM

Luckily you saved most of the water otherwise this would be an expensive grow for you. Now you will need to calculate how much of that saved nutrient solution you’ll need to add every week or 2. Hopefully the mistake hasn’t caused any damage.

The brownish marks on the bottom of the tomatoes is called blossom end rot. My guess the tomatoes that have it were the ones that were already on the plant when you were still using miracle grow. Do you see any on newer tomatoes using the new nutrients? If yes you will need to add a little lime to the reservoir so any new tomato growth will not have blossom end rot. This video not the most exciting video but it explains why blossom end rot happens. It also shows you how to make a solution (wear a mask) to stop it from happening to other tomatoes. Add a gallon of the solution to the 55 gallon barrel just one time if you see those brown spots on other tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uObcfRWdK0

The other tomato with what looks like a crater is called catfacing. It can be caused by temp changes also by excessive nitrogen levels. My guess in your case temp changes. Those tomatoes can still be grown and eaten. You will probably have to cut the bottoms off when they have ripened then eat the rest. I’ve had some of them on my plants I wouldn’t worry much about them. Just don’t over ripen them cause they might split.

Last edited by Stan; 02-28-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:12 PM

Default Disaster recovery status

Stan, thanks for the quick reply. I watched the video and immediately following ran up to my local Rural Farm and picked up a bag. Mixed the ¼ cup to a gallon, and added it to the 55 gallon drum (though from what I could see, her reservoir looked much smaller). As she said, the PH shot up - It went to 9.2 ! I waited a while, re-checked then added every last drop of my PH down and brought it down to 6.7 (still too high). I’ve ordered a quart but that will take days. I’m trying to find it locally but never had luck before, everything around here is for pools and aquariums. There is a hydroponics supply just under an hour away, I may have to take the drive. I’ll check PH again in the morning. Lastly, water temp has been holding at 74, so I dropped in a frozen gallon jug, that brought it down to 72 in about an hour. If these tomatoes survive, controlling reservoir temp will be a challenge. Thanks again GDG