Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

How many times a day should I flood the system?

Old 02-02-2009, 03:04 AM

Default How many times a day should I flood the system?

Ron, oh wise one, I have my tomatoes in the 11 plant system. I am using a 400 watt MH and am doing a 24 hour vegetative light cycle. The system is in a 4X4 area with mylar on the walls. I'm using 32 OZ solo cups and have adjusted the drain pipe to the correct height. I am using a maxi-jet 500 aquarium pump in a 32 gallon Reservoir. How many times a day should I flood the system? What is the closest, in inches, I can put the light to the 3 week old plants (it's a verticle lamp)? How close can the light be when the plants get big and strong? Also the four plants in the outer corners seem like they will not get as much light, should I expect these plants to be less productive when I go to a twelve hour photo period using my hps conversion bulb? My last question is how often should I add water to this type of set-up? And how much?

Thanks, Bob

Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 AM

Hi Bob
If your system drains quickly then I would water every 20 to 30 minutes. I think some members are having problems with over watering their plants. That is why a cycle timer is important. The plant roots don't need to sit in water to get nutrients. When the cups drain fresh oxygen is suck into the medium to the roots.
If your hood doesn't have glass then 24 inches for young plants and about 16 inches as they get older.
That's the reason I use solo cups so I can spin and move my plants around the garden so they get equal light.
Just fill the container enough to last about two weeks and then you won't have to throw to much out when you fix up a new batch.
Ron